Hi all,

here's to announce a really exciting event coming up next week. David
Leavitt, the very well known American 'gay writer' (see below for why
I've used the apostrophes!) and Mark Mitchell, his co-editor of 'The
Penguin of Gay Short Stories' (1994, substantially revised 2003)
and 'Pages Passed from Hand to Hand: The Hidden Tradition of
Homosexual Literature in English from 1748 to 1914' (Mitchell also
independently edited The Penguin Book of International Gay Writing)
are in India and they've agreed to have a discussion on gay writing
at Crossword in Bombay. R.Raj Rao, the author of The Boyfriend, will
be joining them to bring an Indian perspective.

More details below, so all I'm going to say now is - THIS IS NOT AN
EVENT TO MISS!!! Its going to make for a fascinating discussion and
thanks to Crossword (a tip of the hat to R.Sriram, the manager, who
readily agreed to doing this) we've got a great venue for it. Make
sure you're there and make sure you forward this info to as many
people as you can. For those who haven't read any of Leavitt and
Mitchell's books, Crossword is trying to get as many copies as
possible, particularly of The New Penguin of Gay Short Stories.

BE THERE!

Vikram

David Leavitt, Mark Mitchell and R.Raj Rao discuss Gay Writing at
Crossword (below the flyover, Kemps Corner, Mumbai) on Thursday,
December 23rd

Bios:

David Leavitt:

David Leavitt is the author of the short story collections Family
Dancing (finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Prize and the National Book
Critics' Circle Award), A Place I've Never Been, Arkansas, and The
Marble Quilt, as well as the novels The Lost Language of Cranes,
Equal Affections, While England Sleeps (Finalist for the Los Angeles
Times Fiction Prize), The Page Turner, Martin Bauman, or A Sure Thing
and most recently, The Body of Jonah Boyd. In 2002, he published
Florence, A Delicate Case as part of Bloomsbury's series "The Writer
and the City." His Collected Stories was published this fall by
Bloomsbury. He has just finished The Man Who Knew Too Much: Alan
Turing, Mathematics, and the Origins of the Computer. With Mark
Mitchell (see below) he has co-authored two books on travel writing
and two anthologies. He teaches at the University of Florida.

Mark Mitchell:

Mark Mitchell is the author of Virtuosi: A Defence and a (Sometimes
Erotic) Celebration of Great Pianists, most recently, Vladimir de
Pachmann: A Piano Virtuoso's Life and Art. The anthologies he has
edited include The Penguin Book of International Gay Writing and,
with David Leavitt, The Penguin of Gay Short Stories (1994,
substantially revised 2003) and Pages Passed from Hand to Hand: The
Hidden Tradition of Homosexual Literature in English from 1748 to
1914. He and Leavitt have also edited E.M.Forster's Selected Stories
for Penguin Classics. They have also co-authored two books on travel
writing: Italian Pleasures and In Maremma: Life and a House in
Southern Tuscany.

R.Raj Rao:

R.Raj Rao was born in Bombay. He studied in India and the UK, and in
1996 attended the International Writing Programme, Iowa. He is the
author of Slide Show (poems), One Day I Locked My Flat In Soul City
(short stories), The Wisest Fool on Earth and Other Plays, Nissim
Ezekiel: The Authorized Biography and, most recently The Boyfriend (a
novel). He has also edited Ten Indian Writers in Interview and co-
edited Image of India in the Indian Novel in English (1960-1980). A
professor of English at the University of Pune, Rao is also one of
India's leading gay-rights activists.

 Discussing Gay Writing

Gay writing is a recent and rapidly growing field. There has long
been writing on homosexual subjects, of course, but its easy to
forget how hard it was, till quite recently, to tackle these openly
and in any but the most superficial way. As David Leavitt reminds us
in the extract below E.M.Forster could not have his gay writings
published until after his death in 1970.

The openness with which we can now deal with the subject is obviously
an excellent change - yet its one that has brought its own problems
in its wake. Who is a `gay writer'? Can't he or she just be
a `writer' or is the adjective inescapable? Must a `gay writer'
tackle gay subjects only and if so, are there constraints on how he
or she can do that? Does a `gay writer' have to be a gay rights
activist, or is he or she one by definition? Is `gay writing' a
single definable school or should we recognise distinctions within
it? As homosexuality comes out of the closet across the world, will
gay writing spread? And will this new gay writing from the developing
world differ from what has come from the developed world?

David Leavitt, Mark Mitchell and R.Raj Rao will be discussing these
questions at Crossword on November 23rd at 7.00 p.m. Make sure you
don't miss it.

>From the introduction by David Leavitt to The New Penguin Book of Gay
Short Stories:

On the problems of defining gay fiction:

"What makes a `gay story' gay? This is a more complicated question
than it may first sound. Traditionally anthologies of so-called gay
fiction have collected stories by gay male writers writing about the
lives of gay men. And yet, numerous gay male writers, from antiquity
to the present day, have written fiction that at least explicitly has
nothing to do with gay experience - even though it may exhibit a `gay
sensibility' or `gay style' (two more problematic terms). Likewise,
numerous heterosexual writers have written fiction that deals
eloquently with male homosexuality. What about them? And what about
fiction by lesbians? The majority of gay anthologists have no only
left out work by heterosexual and lesbian writers, they haven't even
considered the possibility that the exclusion might diminish the
value of their work. So rigid an ideology is, to our way of thinking,
counterproductive. That said, certain limits, must be agreed upon if
an anthology is not to become so enormous as to defy practical
publication."

On the problems of being called a `gay writer':

"Many people ask me if I consider myself a `gay writer'. My answer is
that the question is irrelevant; as long as the culture I live in
considers me a gay writer - and it considers every writer who tackles
gay subject matter a gay writer - I'm stuck with the label. My sexual
identity will subsume all other aspects of my identity - I might be
a `gay Jewish writer,' never a `Jewish gay writer' - no matter how
loudly I protest. The same people ask, with annoying frequency, why I
always write about gay characters, which I don't. Well, I answer, if
I were John Updike, would you ask `Mr.Updike, why do you always write
about heterosexual characters?' They cough and get nervous. Because
heterosexuality is the norm, writers have permission to explore its
nuances without raising eyebrows. To write about gay characters, by
contrast, is always, necessarily, to make some sort of `statement'
about the fact of  being gay. Stories in which a character's
homosexuality is, as it were, `beside the point' confuse us: why
bring this up? asks the writing teacher in our heads. Similarly
reviewers complain about books in which too many characters are gay.
(Does anyone complain about too many characters in Rabbit, Run being
straight?) The problem is that this kind of thinking gets into a
writer's head; we begin to believe that the sexuality of our
characters really does define them. This may be the reason why
Forster, at the height of his career, chose to give up publishing
fiction. On the one hand he longed to write fiction about the
homosexual experience. Wouldn't doing so, however, have diminished
the illustrious author of Howards End and A Passage to India? Luckily
for us, he continued writing; but his gay stories were not published
until after his death."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/WfTolB/TM

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the
link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and events go to:
http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Archives are at