A small story that doesn't seem to have made much waves. I guess
that's partly because Chris Smith isn't much of a celebrity these
days and partly too - I hope - because there's less hysteria about
being HIV positive now, at least in the West.

But its still a story worth noting because its remarkable how few
politicians anywhere in the world have been open about being HIV
positive. And in case you're thinking politicians are somehow immune
to it, well... think again.

South Africa probably offers the most bizarre cases where Prsident
Mbeki's intransigent position on HIV being the cause of AIDS and that
it was all somehow a white Western conspiracy made it impossible for
politicians of his own party to talk about HIV even while they were
dropping dead from it.

When I was in SA a couple of years back, one of Mbeki's most fervent
supporters, a man who had attacked "the AIDS mafia" on his master's
behalf again and again, suddenly fell sick and died in hospital -
from a backache, I think was the official explanation! Its in that
context that Nelson Mandela's quiet acknowledgement of the cause of
his son's death was an implicit rebuke to his successor and an
important step.

We're still not in the SA situation here in India, but its entirely
likely we'll reach there if politicians continue to keep thinking
about HIV only on Dec 1st every year. At least one Indian politician
has died unexpectedly young from what strong rumours suggest was
AIDS, but nobody talked about it openly then, and if anyone knows
they are positive now - I wonder how many have even taken a test? -
they aren't saying.

And this silence builds into the way HIV is being treated in general -
with support that's lukewarm at best and with none of the sense of
urgency that the issue needs. I used to think that for people to take
AIDS seriously it would need many more deaths, but many more deaths
are now happening and its still not seen as urgent.

Which leads to two somewhat dismal conclusions. Either it really
isn't urgent for people, meaning that deep-Indian-sense-of-fatalism-
""its all Maya"-school of argument (which I loathe). Or you need to
have well known people who are known to be dying of AIDS. Or at least
well known people who are known to be positive.

Its the Rock-Hudson-Magic-Johnson school of argument and while at the
moment it might seem impossible, who knows, perhaps the efforts of
people like Mandela and Chris Smith might make it happen one day,

Vikram

I'm HIV positive says Chris Smith
Martin Bright
Sunday January 30, 2005

Observer

Former Labour cabinet minister Chris Smith has been HIV positive for
17 years, but did not tell Tony Blair when he was appointed Culture
Secretary in 1997.

Smith, 53, the first openly gay cabinet member in British history,
said he was inspired to go public after comments by the former South
African president, Nelson Mandela, about his son, who died of Aids
this month.

He said he had not felt it necessary to inform the Prime Minister of
the infection because it did not affect his ability to do his job.

Smith has been MP for Islington South and Finsbury in London since
1983 and was feted for his courage when he came out as gay a year
later.

He was diagnosed with HIV - the virus which can develop into Aids -
in 1987, shortly before meeting his long-term partner Dorian Jabri,
though he did not know how long he had been carrying the virus.

When he developed the disease, public fear and prejudice about the
illness was at its height, and drugs to halt the progress of the
condition were in the early stages of development.

Smith said he 'was lucky' that soon after his diagnosis he was put
onto anti-retroviral drugs, which helped to halt the progress of the
virus and prevented it from developing into Aids itself. 'When I
first heard about it, I was really worried because there was hardly
any treatment, but I was lucky and fairly early on I was put on AZT
and later on to a combination of drugs,' he wrote in the Sunday Times.

'It was the uncertainty which clearly has an effect.'

He has maintained his health since then through a daily mixture of
daily drugs and a sensible diet, he said, adding: 'I've also been
with the National Health Service all that time.'

Asked if he had informed Blair, he responded: 'I didn't feel the need
to tell people, except for a very, very few, as it was not in any way
affecting my work.'

Mandela called for an end to the stigma linked to the illness earlier
this month, as he revealed that his 54-year-old son Makgatho had died
of Aids.

The former president said: 'Let us give publicity to HIV/Aids and not
hide it, because [that is] the only way to make it appear like a
normal illness.'

Smith said that Mandela's comments had prompted him to speak out
about his own condition. 'What Nelson Mandela said very much struck a
chord with me,' he explained.

Smith was sacked from the Cabinet in 2001, and has already announced
that he is standing down from Parliament at the next general
election, expected in May.

Thanks to advances in drug treatment, it is now possible for people
with HIV to live for many years in relative good health. For this
reason, the term Aids is no longer used by some doctors, who prefer
to use 'late stage' or 'advanced' HIV infection.

A brave and candid stance from a courageous politician
The former Culture Secretary helped change the climate of public
life, says Ben Summerskill

Sunday January 30, 2005
The Observer

Damp Saturday afternoons in Rugby have left few marks on political
history. But a 1984 announcement by Chris Smith, then a fledgling MP,
to a union rally did much more than that.
His understated observation - he hasn't changed much in the
intervening two decades - that he was MP for Islington South and
Finsbury, and that he was gay, shook the political firmament.

Just 18 years earlier the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police
would have dispatched officers immediately to Smith's home address to
break down the door and start sniffing the bedsheets. Just six years
earlier, Northampton MP Maureen Colquhoun had been hounded from
office after lurid newspaper reports that she had 'moved in' with
another woman.

The frisson throughout the Labour party following Smith's
announcement was felt immediately. A vanguard of polite homosexuals,
told for years that theirs was an issue no voter would support, was
energised into action.

And the tabloid press - sales of the Sun under Kelvin Mackenzie were
then in orbit - had one of its foxes dramatically shot. Suddenly
Smith was suggesting that being a homosexual in public life wasn't
something to hide.

Smith's candour did something else too. It told three million people
in Britain - lesbian, gay, bisexual, even those who weren't sure -
that they were not alone.

Smith had come out on his own terms, and that was historic too. Until
then, political outings of MPs as gay or bisexual had been forced
upon them by embarrassing circumstances - a Green Park encounter with
a guardsman, a spiteful prosecution. A key weapon of the hater of
homosexuals over the centuries, the threat to reveal their truth, had
been wrestled from them.

When Chris Smith first found he had HIV, the climate in public life
about Aids was still poisonous. President Reagan had recently sent
his old friend, Rock Hudson, a quaint card saying 'Get well soon',
something unthinkable then for many who went on to develop Aids. So
Smith was almost certainly right in the Eighties to keep that aspect
of his private life private. It would have been used to foment
prejudice, rather than sympathy, among opponents in politics and
Fleet Street.

But his courage now, when he could have kept quiet until his
departure from the Commons at the general election, demonstrates
exemplary candour too.

When Erasure's Andy Bell revealed to Boyz magazine a fortnight ago
that he had HIV, the tabloids had difficulty getting excited. Bell
is, after all, a pop star. But Smith's admission will remind the
wider world, and even those in politics who think their world is
somehow different, that people with HIV are everywhere.

The Department of Health suggests that, being gay with HIV, he is not
among the majority of people in this country with the condition. And
gay people are certainly not among the majority worldwide. But once
again Smith will be telling tens of thousands of people in Britain
that they are not alone. And that will have far-reaching
consequences.

When he came out, Smith's openness assisted a process of law reform
which is still under way. Decriminalisation of same-sex relationships
between teenagers, the recent passage of the Civil Partnership Act,
this week's launch of a major Stonewall campaign, Education for All,
addressing at last the bullying of gay children in British schools.
None would have happened if Smith hadn't said 20 years ago that gay
people were no longer prepared to remain silent.

Let's hope that Smith's latest gesture - candid and once again almost
impossible for the malicious to condemn - will have the same effect
on Britain's willingness to be honest about the prevalence of HIV.

· Ben Summerskill is chief executive of Stonewall

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5F6XtA/.WnJAA/E2hLAA/WfTolB/TM

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the
link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and events go to:
http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Archives are at