Dear Friends,
(This is another excerpt from a Bangladesh Gay group.)

When we gay guys are  trying to establish a somewhat
strong place in our society, there are also a large
number of "others" who don't even know what they are.
No, I am not talking about bisexuals, transgender,
transexual, transvestite or anything. Why are there so
many divisions? Because of our different sexual
practices. But there are alos a number of people who
don't even feel a thing about sex! Litterally they
don't wanna have sex cause they just don't feel any
physical attraction towards men or women or whoever.
No, they are not physically or mentally ill. They are
fully able and working people like you and me. The
just don't have sex!! This type of people are called
"Asexuals".

I came to know about them last year through a
magazine. Surprisingly they are out and a rapidly
growing community. It's hard for me to understand how
can a person be asexual, but I have totall respect for
them what-so-ever. Some straight people don't
understand why we are gay, likewise it might be hard
for us to understand asexuals.

I am sure there are a lot of Asexuals in Bangladesh as
well. But we are so much typecasted by the society
that when we don't feel sexual urges towards women, we
think we might be homosexual. Reallity might be
different. We need to recognize Asexuals as much as we
recognize homosexuals.

There can be many reasons behind asexualism. Some may
born that way, childhood abuse, mental repression and
many more. Unlike gay, lesbian and bisexual people,
asexual people are not compelled by sexual attraction
to seek each other out, which has made it more
difficult for them to build a community. Unlike gay
people Asexuals also are affected only minimally by
heterosexism. Imagine that if you have sex before
marriage or with a same sex person, it would be more
talked about rather if you don't have sex at all. This
is more of a reason why we don't know about them.

Check out this support website for Asexuals. Lots of
info can be found there.
http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/

'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/WfTolB/TM

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the
link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and events go to:
http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Archives are at