Sorry, I do not have Indira's Goswami's email address, but your mail comes as a
good rebuttal of her views.

 While I do find these reactions offensive, we should also have patience to
put up as well as systeatically counter their prejudices and ignorance. It
needs time for society to evolve.

A spread of the fact among the general population that homosexuality is just a
normal variant of human sexuality , countering lots of negatives attributed to
the homosexual population, dissemination of  statistics of how many Indians
could be  homosexuals - even by thought and not necessarily by action-  [ a
survey conducted by India Today on the sexuality of the Indian male sometime
back did not even touch the topic of homosexuality!] ,  leading a life of
dignity and grace by the homosexual population, boldly coming out with one's
preference atleast if one finds one's soul mate, allaying certain fears of the
heterosexual population about the homosexual population and many more such
systematic endeavours , I feel , can do good in in the long term.

1.7.2005

shokraiuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I find Indira Goswami's comments interesting to say the least,
especially in view of the fact that she has been on record making
the following statements:
1) a person should have the right to live at a place of her choice
(in respect of Taslima Nasreen's demand for Indian citizenship)
2) We do not want any book to be banned. A person's right to express
herself should be her birth-right (in respect of Government ban on
Nasreen's book 'Dwikhondito)

I want to email her and ask her why, in view of above statements
from her, I should not have my right to love and show compassion to
whoever I want to. Alas, I cannot find her email address. Perhaps
someone here can help me if they know the address. And while I wirte
to her I will also take the opportunite to inform her that I find
her comment 'Only those who have never known the beauty of love and
compassion can be homosexuals' deeply offensive, especially in view
of the fact that I have, given and received, more love and
compassion that many of my straight colleagues. I will do it in the
sweetest possible way as I am full of compassion..unlike you know
who!

Regards
--- In gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com, gaybombay wrote: Celeb gay-speak bares all

HTTabloid.com New Delhi, June 29, 2005

Love it or hate it, you can't ignore it. Here's what some prominent Indians
think about homosexuality:

Koena Mitra (Actress)

I think Indian society needs to change its attitude towards gays and lesbians.
Why should they be treated any different from others? I don't understand why
there should be so much apprehension about the issue. Everyone has the right to
live life as they see fit and make their own choices. There should be no
discrimination on the basis of sexual preferences.

Alyque Padamsee (Ad guru)

It is unfortunate that homosexuality is still looked upon as a social stigma in
some parts of our country. I think it's a wonderful expression of human love.
The fact that it's becoming more and more acceptable in cities like Mumbai is
certainly a positive sign.

Indira Goswami (Writer)

Only those who have never known the beauty of love and compassion can be
homosexuals. I find the practice disgusting.

Mallika Sarabhai (Dancer and social activist)

It's a personal choice and way of living. Everyone is free to live life the way
they want to. What's wrong in that? But at the same time I feel that each one
of us is different and may have different ways of celebrating love.

Jackie Shroff (Actor)

I have no problems with homosexuals or homosexuality. I have no apprehensions
either because I believe that each one of us has the right to get what we want.
It's a matter of personal choice and no one has any business to interfere.

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com

Archives are at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html