... well, a heaven that includes gay bloggers and columnists that is.
Dan Savage is guest blogging on Andrew Sullivan's blog and I am
speechless at this combo of a favourite blog and favourite colmnist
(I don't think though that Dan should return the favour and have
Sullivan do his sex advice).

Here's the link to the action and a couple of threads that have
already come up:

http://www.andrewsullivan.com

INTOLERABLE: There's a brilliant op-ed by Irshad Manji in today's NYT
responding to Tony Blair's moves to deport Islamo-fascist clerics.
She confronts what so many people seem to view as a contradiction at
the heart of Western liberalism: Our society, dependent as it is on
tolerance (of different religions, political points of view,
ethnicities, and, yes, sexualities), doesn't know how to respond to
people whose world views are fundamentally intolerant. The money
quote, as Andrew would put it, is this:

[The] ultimate paradox may be that in order to defend our diversity,
we'll need to be less tolerant. Or, at the very least, more vigilant.
And this vigilance demands more than new anti-terror laws. It
requires asking: What guiding values can most of us live with? Given
the panoply of ideologies and faiths out there, what filter will
distill almost everybody's right to free expression? Neither the
watery word "tolerance" nor the slippery phrase "mutual respect" will
cut it as a guiding value. Why tolerate violent bigotry?

Manji's op-ed is being praised by the right, as well it should be. It
deserves praise from everyone with a brain in her head. But Manji's
call for intolerance to be met with intolerance applies not only to
Islamic preachers who preach hate and would compel others to live by
the strictures of their faith. It also applies to American preachers
who do the same.

When gays and lesbians express disgust or contempt for, say, the Pat
Robertsons of this world, we're accused of being intolerant—and isn't
that hypocritical of us? After all, isn't tolerance what we've been
asking for? How can we refuse to tolerate Pat Robertson?

But as Manji points out, being intolerant of intolerance is not the
moral equivalent of being intolerant. Violence is always wrong,
everyone agrees. But there are times when violence is justified. For
instance, violence is justified in self-defense. Well, being
intolerant of the intolerant is simply tolerance acting in its own
self-defense. It is justifiable intolerance.

-posted by Dan

- 3:15:00 PM

WE CAN SEE CLEARLY: Manji, incidentally, is a lesbian and, perhaps
more controversially, a Canadian. She's also the author of a
brilliant book: "The Trouble With Islam Today: A Muslim's Call for
Reform in Her Faith." If you haven't read it, go buy it . It's
interesting that so many homos—I'm thinking Bruce Bawer, Pym Fortyun,
Manji, and, yes, Andrew Sullivan—clearly recognize the threat that
the Islamo-fascists represent. (Or thought, in Fortyun's case.) Too
bad so many on the American right just can't get over their homo
hatin' ways. The freedom gays and lesbians enjoy in our societies is
a credit to the west, and the eloquence of people like Manji, Bawer,
and Sullivan should be marshaled in defense of our shared values.

-posted by Dan

GET IT ALL OUT:A reader writes…

Hey being intolerant of intolerance sounds like call for a gay run
government witch hunt on bad people. Hey man, think of it Baptist
Preachers and Catholic bishops locked up for saying "hateful" things.
Gee, wouldn't that be a great. Pass a couple laws and jail everybody
you don't like.

Are you smoking something? Setting up a police state to control all
thought and speech has been tried in various places and at various
times and it never works. It is always a bloody mess.

Better you tell folks you don't like to kiss your ass.

I do tell folks to kiss my ass—all the time. (Hey, Robertson! Kiss my
gay ass!) But I did not, and would not, call for a gay–run
government. I mean, please. The only people I know who have a harder
time living within their means than gay people are, well,
Republicans. Two years with a gay-run government and we'd have more
red ink—and shoes—than we do now.

The funny thing about your letter, dear reader, is that you accuse me
of something religious people are guilty of. It's a common tactic.
Who recruits? Not the gays. It's always Witnesses and Mormons at my
door. It's never the gays. When I walk through downtown Seattle I'm
accosted by Scientologists, not lesbians.

It's the fundies, many of them, who want to lock up gay people, not
the other way around. For the record: I don't want to lock up
anybody. (Well, not anybody who doesn't want to be locked up—and even
then only for a weekend, tops.) I'm happy to live in a world where
Pat Robertson is free to think I'm going to hell, and free to preach
as much. I reluctantly battle Robertson because he believes the
federal government should deprive me, a tax-paying fellow citizen, of
my civil rights and responsibilities, even jail me, because of who I
am.

Look, I'm all for free speech, I'm all for persuasion. If Pat
Robertson can talk me out of being gay then, by God, I'll give it up
tomorrow. If a "Choose Life" billboard convinces a woman not to have
an abortion, that's great. The problem with Pat is that he wants to
compel me to give up being gay, or, failing that, he seeks to deprive
me of my civil rights because I'm gay. The problem with the anti-
choice movement is that they want the law to impose their beliefs
about abortion.

Why, I often wonder, can't the religious right extend gay and lesbian
Americans the same courtesy they extend to, say, adulterers? Or
shrimp lovers? Yes, the gays are going to hell—it says so right there
in the bible somewhere. It says we should be put to death along with
the adulterers and shrimp eaters. But the adulterers and shrimp
eaters don't come in for the same degree of persecution. No attempts
to strip them of their civil rights or write them out of the U.S.
Constitution. And what about the Jews? They're going to hell, along
with Tom Cruise and his Scientologist pals and Lutherans (if you ask
the Catholics) and the Catholics (if you ask the Lutherans). So many
hell-bound sinners—and everyone else gets a pass. Fundamentalist
Christians seem content merely knowing that everyone else will suffer
horribly when we're all left behind after they've been—what is it
again? Ruptured or something? They may attempt to persuade others to
join them, prior to the rupture, but there's no attempt to actively
persecute. Anyone else. Just us.

Is it too much to ask for gays and lesbians to be extended the same
courtesy fundamentalist Christians seem so capable of extending to
others? It's called tolerance—the theme for the day. I'll tolerate
Pat Robertson if he'll tolerate me. We don't have to like each other,
but we do have to share a continent—at least until the rupture.

Blah blah blah—who put a nickel in me? Just getting the gay stuff out
before the clock strikes 12.

—posted by Dan.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

Does EVERY SINGLE one of your entries have to deal with homosexuality?

Gee, I didn't know that Cindy Sheehan and Tony Blair were both gay.
Does Mrs. Blair know? And, hey, maybe Bush should send Mary Cheney
out to meet with Sheehan. And I suppose there's something
intrinsically gay about the Space Shuttle, cell phones, the war in
Iraq, Wi-Fi, and coffeehouses, but I can't quite figure it out for
myself. But I'll work on it.

Of course it goes without saying that The National Review is
basically the Out Magazine of right-wing closet cases. But cell
phones? I still don't get it...

-posted by Dan.

MORE GAY STUFFING: Andrew gets it, I get it.

If you're gay and you write for and edit a newspaper that's not gay
(like I do), or a blog that's not necessarily devoted to gay issues,
anytime you mention gay stuff you get grief. Folks scream that gay
stuff is all you (or your paper) ever write/writes about. Folks say
this even when the evidence that it's not true is literally staring
them in the face. They're reading the blog, they're have the paper in
their hands—how can they say it's 100% gay?

I'll admit, however, that my posts during my stint as guest blogger
have been, up to now, gayer than Richard Simmons sitting on Tucker
Carlson's lap. But you know what? Our culture is pretty heavy on the
gay stuff. (And, I'm sorry, but Rosie O'Donnell going into Fiddler?
How could I refrain from commenting on that?) There are really two
wars going on right now: The War on Terror (or the "Global Struggle
Against Violent Extremism" or "Not So Many Car Bombs as the MSM Would
Have You Believe" or "The Mission Accomplished Any Day Now" or
whatever it is we're calling it today) and the War on Gay Stuff. Or
maybe I should say the War Over Gay Stuff.

Straight writers have a hard enough time avoiding gay issues, let
alone gay writers. And it's hard to sit on the sidelines, or let some
insult or injustice pass, when you feel like you're being attacked.
And trust me… I would adore having the luxury to avoid gay issues
for, oh, ten or twenty years. But if straight writers can't, how can
I?

—posted by Dan

JUDGE NOT: Take for instance the latest news about SCOTUS-bound John
Roberts. Guess what? A conservative group is yanking its support for
Roberts and calling on Bush to withdraw his name. Why? Because
Roberts, as everyone by now knows, did a little pro-bono work (sounds
dirty) for gay groups in the mid-90s. Pull down the websites, alert
Lou Sheldon, off with Robert's so-recently-lionized head.

I don't know Jesse J. Holland, the reporter who wrote the story up
for the AP, but I'm guessing he's straight. Most men are. And yet
there he is, writing about gay stuff. Why? Because he has no choice,
and neither do I. Neither does Andrew. But I'll bet you no one
screams "Enough, Jesse!" when he files his gay stories. Gay issues
are big news in America just now and they can't be avoided. Not by
me, not by the AP, not by Judge Roberts, not Lou Sheldon. (Check out
Lou's website—there's more gay stuff there than Andrew could ever
hope to pack on to his website.)

A lot of people who don't like gay people—those who don't approve, or
think Jesus hates us more than he hates, say, adulterers or people
who support the death penalty (I expect Jesus, if he exists, has a
real issue with supporters of the death penalty)—say they're just
sick of hearing about it/us. They just wish we'd shut up and go away.
Well, that's not going to happen. We're not going to go away, and
it's unlikely that we'll ever shut up. But want to know how we could
cut the number of headlines and AP stories and blog entries written
about gays and lesbians by at least 90%? Let us have our rights.
There will be a lot less debate after we're fully enfranchised
citizens, I promise you. Until that time comes—and it will come—
there's going to be a lot to say about gay stuff, unfortunately.

—posted by Dan

BUT NOT TOMORROW: But tell you what...

As an experiment I will attempt to blog away the day tomorrow without
once mentioning gay stuff. Someone wrote in and asked me to write
about my "other passions," and that's exactly what I intend to do.
Can I do it? Can I rise above, as Ralph Nader once put it, gonadal
politics? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

—posted by Dan

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hhg56cb/M=323294.6903899.7846637.3022212/D=groups/S=1705064406:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123915155/A=2896130/R=0/SIG=11llkm9tk/*http://www.donorschoose.org/index.php?lc=yahooemail";>Give
 underprivileged students the materials they need to learn. Bring education to
life by funding a specific classroom project
</a>.</font>

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com

Archives are at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html