The Amend section 377 of the IPC petition that's online on the
Gaybombay website has been growing steadily ever since we put it up
on Tuesday. As Sopan said, a few glitches have had to be sorted out,
but its 470 plus now and growing. So have you signed yet?

A few people have asked what the point of the petition is, will it
really lead to change? The answer is that probably no single thing -
well short of really senior politicians finding  their sons in bed
with guys - is likely to change anything, but a lot of incremental
things might, and this is one such step. We made reference to the
online petition at the Tuesday march and it is something that's up
and accessible for people to see.

That's one and the other is, well just take a look for yourselves:

http://www.gaybombay.org/app/sign.php?list=1

What's really amazing me is not just the names or the places from
around the world where people are signing, but the comments they are
writing. When we thought of this, the comments field was an
afterthought - I didn't even put one myself. But the way that people
are posting comments indicates how deeply they feel about this and
how much they want their views heard.

I've pasted a few of the comments below, so take a look, or use the
link above to check for yourself. And if you haven't signed the
petition yet, use this link to sign, and forward it too to everyone
you know. Put it on mailing lists. Put the link on websites. Test it
to people's mobiles. Send it to obscure email addresses in your
address book. Send it to brothers, sisters, parents. Announce it, as
Bindu has done, at meetings.

Because this is something that anyone can do, whether they are gay or
straight, open or closeted, married, single or in a relationship,
sexually active or not, top or bottom, kink or vanilla, in India or
abroad, supportive or even if they are not sure what they feel about
homosexuality, but do know that they don't think lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgendered people should not be treated as criminals:

http://www.gaybombay.org/event/Protest_sec377_register.html

Comments

Touranne Nguyen  USA  "Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto
itself a higher law."
-Boethius

Wendell Rodricks  Goa  Because it is antiquated and an insult to
anyone who lives in this century. Also, it is an abhhoration to the
multitude of gay persons who serve the coutry in the army, navy,
airforce, doctors, lawyers...many of who are in high ranks and who
have served India with loyality and patriotism. We are not criminals
in any way

philippe keyvân  paris, france  this act belongs to bygone days. It
is an wart on the face of modern India, incompatible with the respect
of human rights.

Andy Towle  U.S.A.  I stand in solidarity with LGBT people across
India in their desire for equality and civil rights. Sexual acts
between consenting adults need to be decriminalized.

Martin  Bonn, Germany  Sex among people with the same gender is
similar to sex among people with different gender - in both cases
love or variations of love motivate the partners to encounter
sexually.

Arvind Kumar  San Jose, California  The British have gone. Their laws
should go too.

Jehangir Jani  Mumbai  Because it is an archaic law that
straightjackets new possibilities in human relationships and
intimacies.

Trips  Delhi  It's a ridiculous section -- telling us who we can fuck
and how. If the guys who enacted the act have scrapped it then why
should we hold on to it??

Ness  Pune  Because it's cruel, and India needs to wake up to the
21st Century. We'll drag India kicking and screaming into it if we
have to.

aslam  Boston, Massachusetts, USA; NRI from Pune, Maharashtra.
Section 377 is shameful for India on two counts. Firstly, It
indicates that this country maintains some cruel and unjust
principles while it claims its otherwise rightful place among the
leading modern nations that are committed to respecting what the
Indian Constitution calls "fundamental rights" of all humans.
Secondly, India, proudly independent for 58 years, is still unwilling
to discard this indefensible, retrograde law, which it inherited from
its colonial masters,

RL  Atlanta, Georgia, United States  Because really, India and its
people are better than this. The law does not do justice to who they
are. Indians aren't haters.

Professor Ian Barnard  Los Angeles, USA  It's a disgrace that the
world's largest democracy still discriminates against people because
of their sexual orientation. I urge the passage of the amendment so
that India can become a model of tolerance and equity for other
countries (e.g., the USA)

Nate  Norman, Oklahoma, USA  To treat homosexuals and transgendered
people by criminalizing who they are is to disregard their basic
human rights. Human rights equal human dignity and thus by stripping
people of their rights you strip them of their dignity. If you remove
their dignity, you are slowly disregarding their humanity. You have
devalued their lives and the lives of their families. You dishonor
not only them, but their families. Criminalizing people for being who
they are is unequal treatment and societies that treat people
unequally will bear the burdens caused by their treatment of all
those in society they displace through criminalizing actions.
Besides, wasn't this law enacted by the once homophobic British
trying to "Britishize" India? Why should India keep a foreign law it
would not have otherwise enacted? Besides this, Britain as removed
its laws criminalizing homosexuality and transgendered...though they
have a long ways to go to bringing about true equality for all of
their citizens. India is much closer, so it should remove this awful
law. Support freedoms for everyone!

Prasad  Mumbai  The talent of this country dreams to be out of this
country just because,the socio structure does not allow it to breath
in its own mother land freely.Its a classic case of 'Aadheech
Dushkaal tyaat Teravaa mahina'.If this nation is as great as it says
it is, if she has to achieve the heights she is is capable of,then
this pathetic state has to change.

Viki  Bangalore  It is pathetic that we live in a time warp that
allows such archaic laws to create unfair distinctions, that go
against the fundemental rights of people in a supposed democracy.
More so horrifying in the land where the Kamasutra came from ! How
much longer can we keep sweeping issues of sexuality under the
carpet ?

Raveesh  Mumbai  A person is gay because he is created gay the same
way a person is straight if he is created so. A gay cannot be made
straight in the same way that a straight cannot be made gay. Those
arguing that it is "unnatural" should realise that it is an inherent
part of a gay's "nature" to be gay. Can objecting straights imagine
how it would be (theoritically) to be born in a place where
heterosexuality is crime. How is it that straights can have all the
sex in the world whereas gays should not be having any at all.
Consentual sex between adults cannot be crime. This curelty towards
human beings who are gay is indeed henious crime.

Ram  Pune  Honorable Panel of Judges at the Supreme Court,
Liberty and freedom of expression are birth rights of any individual
in a democratic society. As long as person has the respect for law
and dignity of being a true citizen of any democratic country, he/she
may not be monitored about his sexual orientation. Especially, when
we have adopted some archaic laws from other societies, it is
necessary we amend them as times change like the parent constitutions
has done. Article 377 is one such law which has been over looked
because we Indian's don't like to talk about sex in open, where as we
all know that sex and sexual orientation are as much biological in
origin as our hair or eye color. It's time to act upon amending laws
to give the dignity to the citizens and be part of the advancing
global society where each individual has a dignity of being who he
is. I was a student of Anthropology at the University of Pune and my
thesis was on study of gay men in Pune, which was very much
appreciated by the department. I got the highest marks for this
insightful thesis topic.
Regards,
A. Ramprasad Naidu
Pune

gun  Australia  Dude, wtf kind of crazy-shit law is this?

Mogan  Selangor, Malaysia  We are unique as anyone else in this
world, we have all the rights as everyone does. There is no reason to
discriminate people like us. To love and to be loved thats all
matter...WE ARE UNIQUE!

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h4j3gke/M=362329.6886307.7839373.3022212/D=groups/S=1705064406:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124485296/A=2894324/R=0/SIG=11hia266k/*http://www.youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1998";>1.2
 million kids a year are victims of human trafficking. Stop slavery</a>.</font>

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com

Archives are at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html