You're right that it would have been nice if the coverage in the prss
for the August 16th protest had been a bit more prominent, but I
think you need to keep these points in mind:

- it was a minor miracle this protest happened at all. As I said in
my mail posted the day of the protest, if someone had said four
months back that a protest like this could have happened, no one
would have believed him. But spearheaded by Paige and many other
people, everyone just came together in time to have it.

- ideally we should have spent more time in getting the media to
come, but most of us were busy with our respective jobs, and dealing
with a lot of the other uncertainties - some of the police
permissions didn't come in till barely a week before. So, yes, we
could have done more on this front, but our time was limited.

- there was no compelling reason for the media to come, as there was
last time when we protested against Lucknow. In the absence of that,
we were just hoping they would cover it in a general way, and most of
the English language media did, but didn't give it much prominence.
Gay issues are increasingly treated as routine in the English
language press at least, which is good, but it does make it harder
getting high profile visibility.

- we had tried to get celebrities, but the thing about celebrities is
that they come at their convenience, and for many of them this event
just was not. Its a really difficult one this, and something we need
to work on for next time. I should though pay tribute to the one guy
who did come and very patiently stood around for ages to speak to the
media - Onir, the director of My Brother Nikhil.

- I don't know if you've been reading the papers or seeing TV
recently, but the media has in fact been covering quite a few gay
stories of late. These range from such hackneyed topics as the gay
casting couch and the pink rupee, to some really nuanced and
sensitive stories.

- The one area where we did fall short was with the Indian language
media. There are many reasons here, ranging from a real prejudice
against gay people in some places, to just logistical problems in
getting the stories to them in their respective languages. This is
definitely something the community needs to work on.

So yes, I agree, on something we could have done more, on others we
could have expected more and there are a few areas where we need to
work on. But one thing in your message caught my eye. You said: "2
give u an example my mother still doesn't know that there r men who
have sex with other men". Now why is that, when it is something you
could have talked to her about?

I'm NOT saying you should come out to her. I'm saying just that you
can have a causal conversation when you bring up the fact that such a
thing as homosexuality exists, and what does she think about it. You
could bring it up in relation to famous people who are gay, or to
stuff that's happening in the West, or just so much else.

Its true that her reaction may not be pleasant. Or perhaps she may
surprise you - we often uderestimate our parents and what they know.
Sometimes they are embarassed to bring up a topic, but often they
turn out to have known of gay people from their youth, but they just
didn't feel like talking about it.

The point is, that this is something _you_ can do. Its easy to expect
others to do things, and to overlook the things that we ourselves can
do. But if each of us was to talk to just a few people we know about
a topic like that, in time that could end up changing things quite as
effectively as good media coverage of the Auugust 16 event could,

Vikram

--- In gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com, james bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote: its a great thing that gay people had come out to protest against the
law that condems gay sex...........but i was disspointed with the fact that the
article regarding this protest found place in the latter pages of
newspaper...........wat i mean is that it did not get that much publicity
.........2 give u an example my mother still doesn't know that there r men who
have sex with other men ...........and that is the condition with the majority
of indian population..........including in cities like
bombay...............although many men have active gay
sex..........................wat we need to do is to make ourself visible in
front of people everywhere............... One way is to rake in
celebrities....and famous personality.......who may voice our
concerns............making ourself part of the indian lifestyle and making
people realize that...........................as some shiv-sainiks  have the
conception that homosexuality is a western influence....... we need to educate
people regarding the truth about homosexuality that it is completely natural
along with scientific evidence and proof Tie ups with newspaper and carrying
out articles regarding homosexuality can educate wide masses Can u believe wat
effect indian population would have if one of the character in "kyuki saas bhi
bahu thi" is shown gay and his problems r shown in a dramatic manner and not in
a streotypical fashion where gay men dress up as woman and lust over each and
every men in sight but shown in a manner that gay men r just regular men and
responsible indians who just have a different sexual orientation. we need to
constantly make ourself visible to the society and tell them that we r normal,
god-fearing and responsible indians but r not given equal rights. I belive we
indians r the most tolerant people in the world, we r taught to be tolerant
since childhood .......all we need to do is make people aware of us in a proper
way and we need to do this constantly...and not stereotype urself in any way
...........and i am pretty sure everyone will accept us once they r properly
educated about homosexualit

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h7acmqj/M=323294.6903899.7846637.3022212/D=groups/S=1705064406:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124858518/A=2896130/R=0/SIG=11llkm9tk/*http://www.donorschoose.org/index.php?lc=yahooemail";>Give
 underprivileged students the materials they need to learn. Bring education to
life by funding a specific classroom project
</a>.</font>

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com

Archives are at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html