Sonia Faleiro is an excellent journalist based in Mumbai, writing on
a range of subjects and for a number of different publications like
Tehelka and TimeOut Mumbai. She has the rare - for Indian journalists
at least - ability to tackle political or contentious subjects
without losing sight of the human stories contained within.

Sonia recently finished a series on the bar girls of Mumbai which
was, I think, one of the best things written in any Indian
publication this year. One of the pieces was on hijras who used to
dance in bars and in the course of that she met the incomparable
Lakshmi Tripathi and, as would come as no surprise to anyone who has
met Lakshmi, quickly realised that she was a great subject for a
story in herself.

Writing about Lakshmi may have lead Sonia to the other fascinating
character of Bobby Darling and she's written one of the best in-depth
pieces on her, treating Bobby's character perhaps even more seriously
than Bobby does himself. The pieces came in Tehelka but are available
on Sonia blog. Here's the link to the Bobby piece and the piece
itself in full, and links to the stories on hijra bar dancers and
Lakshmi. They are all very well worth reading:

On the hijra bar dancers:

http://soniafaleiro.blogspot.com/2005/10/dying-of-evening-stars-
iv.html

"It is dusk and the prostitutes of Kamatipura are readying to ensnare
their prey. Flanking their clearly demarcated territory are
claustrophobic lanes of two-storied sweatshops with glassy-eyed men
sewing feverishly by the light of kerosene lamps. In one street of
lust, 10 women listlessly dance the dandiya. In a corner, two boys
are entwined to the rhythm of a Bollywood song. It is Navratri, but
Kamatipura remains a nightmare tableau of desperation."

On Lakshmi:

http://soniafaleiro.blogspot.com/2005/10/dying-of-evening-stars-
vi.html

" "Ooh La la! So sexy" gasps Laxminarayan Tripathi in her loud nasal
twang, as a young man in tight jeans and silver vest catches her
eye. "Tissue paper, sweetheart," she confides. "One time use only."
Another hijra may have balked at drawing attention to herself in a
crowded, upscale Bandra coffee house, but Laxmi, 5'11 in a green
salwar kameez and delicate white, beaded jootis, keeps her voice high
and leaves the couch often to lope around the room with lanky
strides — to meet friends, talk to waiters, visit the bathroom. The
former dance bar girl and now social activist is a whirlwind.
Dramatic, voluble, sensuous, impossible to contain and welcoming of
attention."

On Bobby Darling:

http://soniafaleiro.blogspot.com/2005/11/liberty-equality-
fraternity.html

Friday, November 25, 2005
Liberty! Equality! Fraternity!

As a boy, Pankaj Sharma realised he preferred being a woman. He paid
for his `deviance' when his father disowned him. Giving up was not in
his script. So he ran away to Mumbai to reinvent himself. Today, he
is Bobby Darling, the actor who redefines gender anew in a
conservative industry, writes Sonia Faleiro.

Bobby Darling totters down the road in transparent block heels
embroidered with pink flowers, denim hipsters, and a black lace
shirt. One long white finger is crowned with a diamond, on another, a
moonstone catches the light. His glossy brown hair switch, 12 o'
clock shadow, and a hint of cleavage induced by hormone pills he
started taking five months ago, encourage a group of little boys to
feign a drunken stagger: "Bobby Darling, oh Bobby Darling!" Another
crowd of children, can't get enough of the actor. "Bobby Darling!"
they sigh, cuddling him. Bobby Darling appears impervious to the
first reaction, and at the second, smiles, tosses his hair, wiggles a
manicured finger: "Go wash your hands, first."

Bobby Darling — with seven film releases in 2005-06, and roles in
three TV serials; Kavyanjali, Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin and Yeh Dil Chahe
More — was once Pankaj Sharma, a middle-class boy of considerable
confusion, who ran away in 1998 from his three-storeyed home in
Delhi's Shalimar Bagh because he took the words of a celebrated
conundrum to heart. "I read an interview in which Rekha said, `If
you're famous, people love you for being famous. They don't care
about your personal life,'" recalls Darling. "That got concreted
(sic) in my head. I decided to become an actor."

Sharma, the second of three children of an English professor and a
bank manager, grew up in a conservative environment, given everything
but the freedom to be himself. "I was a repressed child. I knew very
little, I barely spoke. I only played with girls."

In the eighth grade, he realised he preferred male attention to
female. He played with lipsticks, saris and bras from his mother's
closet. "I was so chikna. Guys would touch my cheeks," he giggles. In
the 12th grade, he had his first serious relationship, with a
classmate. Sharma's parents frog-marched him to a sexologist, a
psychiatrist, the temple. There were tearful exchanges, and his
father, whom Sharma describes as possessing a legendary temper, tried
to beat what he saw as deviance out of him. "I didn't blame my
parents. It's god's fault I'm trapped in the wrong body," he says.

Realising he would fail his final exams, Sharma ran away with his
boyfriend. "My father had already beaten me so much, I knew he would
kill me. How could the son of a university professor fail?" The happy
couple travelled to the Far East and Europe, doing odd jobs. "It was
full excitement!" Darling says. Two years later, his father called to
say his mother was dying of kidney failure, that she'd asked her
favourite child to return. Sharma sat by his mother's bedside as she
painfully let go. Four days later, his boyfriend broke up with him on
the phone, "I have responsibilities towards my family," he mumbled,
hanging up.

Sharma walked to the bathroom, unscrewed a bottle of Phenyl and
poured its contents down his throat. If his father hadn't returned
early from work, Bobby Darling wouldn't have been born. He
shrugs, "Chot khaya insaan ko zyada akal aati hai, seekh milti hai
zindagi se. (A hurt person learns more in life.)" A pause, then he
sings in a thin, melodious voice "Jaane kya baat hai, jaane kya baat
hai. Neend nahin … (What's the matter? Sleep isn't coming...) I would
sing this song every night, it made me cry."

After his mother's death, Sharma attempted to placate his father by
joining Khalsa College. It didn't work. His father informed him,
through a lawyer and a newspaper notice, that he was being disowned.
Sharma quit college, and with Rs 10,000, took a train to Bombay
Central. He spent a fortnight at the station, sleeping on stairs,
exchanging stories with strugglers, who had, like him, left behind a
life chosen for them, hoping to be resurrected to a life they had
dreamt of. He was invited to live with four girls, who worked in a
dance bar in Malad. "They told me of a gay guy who earned a lot by
dancing, and suggested I try it," he says. "I agreed, and earned Rs
170 on my first night. Mujhe aage jaane ka sahara mil gaya. (It
helped me go ahead)."

For two years, daily, at 11 am, Sharma, portfolio in hand, would join
the snaking queues outside film and TV studios. He wouldn't eat until
he returned home at 5 pm. "I would feel sleepy if I ate breakfast,"
he says nonchalantly. He couldn't eat much even after 5 p.m, because
it affected his performance in the bar where he remained from 9.30 pm
to 1.30 am.

The early years were humiliating. Actor Makarand Deshpande laughed
him out of the room. Catcalls and slurs shrouded his every move. But
getting disheartened wasn't part of his script. He reinvented
himself, became more feminine with darkened lip-liner, lightened
hair. "Jab tak dikhoge nahin, bikoge kaise?" he asks. ("If you don't
look good, how will you sell?")

Gradually, he was offered small roles in Taal, Style, Na Tum Jaano Na
Hum, Sohail Khan's debut film Maine Dil Tujko Diya. "That's when I
met Salman, and he loved me," says Darling. "I'm a part of his family
now. Any problem, I can call them. But as long as I can talk directly
to God, I won't. God's given them what they have, so why can't he
give it to me? I'm also created by him."

As Darling's roles accrue — Page 3 and Santosh Sivan's Navrasa —the
laughter grows mute. But there is no bitterness; he is too astute to
let the past tarnish his present. "It's childish to remind people how
they treated me before I was famous," he says. "They called me gur
(jaggery, Mumbai slang for gay), now its Bobby Darling. Not Bobby. I
showed them through work what I'm worth."

Bobby was Sharma's pet name. One of his directors, Lawrence D'Souza,
suggested Bobby Jaan. Other options: Bobby Sexy, Bobby Chikna, Bobby
Hot. He liked Darling — he believed he was one. "Once, N. Chandra
asked my name, I said, Bobby Darling! He replied, `What a name! I'll
take you in my next film. You have a spark!."

How did the skinny boy with the painted face achieve success where
unaccountable others failed? How did he become, like his hero Rekha,
spoken of and sought after? For his foppish behaviour and as a
fixture on page 3, Darling has a reputation that little reflects his
ingenuity. He earned enough to buy a MHADA apartment for Rs 4.5 lakh
while working in a dance bar. "I travel by rickshaw. But in Mumbai
you must have your own house." He plans to rent out his two one-
bedroom apartments in Oshiwara, and buy himself a large one. The
hunger to succeed is palpable. He says it is in memoriam to his
mother. At parties, he charms directors, "Sir, when are you asking me
for my dates?" He follows up with daily SMSs. "Hi Ramuji, (Ramgopal
Varma), I have a desire to work with you, please fulfill my wish...
Thanks. Bobby Darling."

Bobby Darling likes to sit by the sea. He visits the Siddhivinayak
temple, and fasts every Thursday. He speaks to his father every
night; they reconciled after Darling became famous. He jokes about
wanting a lover, desperately, then sighs he would rather be
alone. "My shadow is my best friend," he says. He lives in a small
apartment, and cooks khichdi and meetha dahi to eat while watching a
DVD, when there isn't a party to attend. He wonders at the confusion
in men. Heterosexuals, he says, mock him during the day, but at
night, follow his rickshaw, hungrily.

But there is no confusion in Bobby Darling, actor, the man who will
be a woman. "After two years people will probably tire of me," he
says. "I've made plans for that. I'll complete my sex operation, and
settle abroad. I'll work as a make up artist and a stylist. I'll do
pole dancing and live shows." He pauses, gesticulates from his head
to his toes. "Kabhi mujhe lagta hai, main sanyaas leloon. Yeh
artificial choga jo maine pehna hai, wig, make-up, kapda, kai baar
mein en cheezon se mukti chahti hoon. (I've often felt like
renouncing this artificial get-up. I long for freedom from it all.")

$15 provides a child with safe, clean water. Your gift can make a difference.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LSmZ0B/icGMAA/E2hLAA/WfTolB/TM

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com

Archives are at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html