My Cousin recently faced a very difficult situation. My 10 year old nephew asked him what was the meaning of "Gay"... naturally the parents was alarmed and asked where did he come across this word... and he said that he heard from some TV Channel that Vin Diesel was Gay ...

As my sister-in-law explained me this new age dilemna of parenthood, I was wondering about another friend of mine who is battling the decision of explaining his teen son that being gay is not cool ... but a hard choice... apparently the son was caught in a compromising position by his mother recently and the teens rebelled to their respective parents... I wasnt much surprised .. they were in UK ... and very recently I got to date some1 from London, who said that it has now become a fad ...

But whatever it is, the new age parenting is gradually facing this questioning from the impressionable minds ... and the trouble arises with those parents who are themselves leading a two lives ...

I know some guys who are trying to bury their past and move on... and once I did ask one of them... what would she do if she happens to come across such moments ... and she promptly replied that encouraging would be out of question ...

Anyway, so my cousin seemed to explain that it is a decision that a man or a woman takes that he or she will not marry and stay with another friend whois man or women .. who will share the cooking and cleaning and other things... just like how mom and me does it .. but since we dont like such a lifestyle ... we shouldnt talk about it or be like it ...

When I asked my sister-in-law whether it worked .. she smirked and said ... anyways he would come to know about it very soon in school .. so let this be the cover story ... but I know both of them are fearing that this should not encourage or influence ... and I know countless others are also fearing the same ...

So they all tend to cover the definion by covering it as a taboo... I remember my mom once classifying it as a psychiatric disorder... and my sister literally ran with a broom after me when I firmly announced her favourite Actor (Shahrukh Khan) having an affair with another Director (which is Karan Johar) .. (which was said as a joke though ... but could be possible .... anyways ...)

So with all such defensive answers we are guarding our children ... and the ones who have already been a part of that lifestyle .. or are still is ... tries to keep a straight face and say ...

But would it be possible for you to explain it as simply as the birds and bees ... and whats more important ... accept if the son or the daughter turns out to be one too ...

Rij

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages (by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Contact Us:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]