Hi Tom

While I understand there is enough literature and opinions on this topic to
fill a few tomes, I think one central insight is that there is so much
divergence of views on homosexuality within the adherents of any single
religion, that a comparison across religions has been rendered irrelevant at
best and divisive at worst !

By analogy, in statistics, there is a concept whereby you compare two groups of
people and ask which group is taller, but sometimes you find that the guys in a
single group vary so greatly in height, say 4'10 to 6'3, that there is no point
in taking seriously a small difference in the average heights of the two
groups, say 5'6 and 5'7. If this sounds like boring statistics, replace
"taller" by "more hung" and "height" by "penile size" - that should make the
analogy more interesting to read..... and of course, if you have a fit of
realism, you would have to reduce those feet to inches for the sentences to
make sense :)

Irreligiously yours,
Cheers,
Salil

Tom Iliffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                                  Hi

   Reading the letter in the Hindu & also other things in the press recently
(reactions to the gay march in Jerusalem, statements & counter-statements by
the Vatican, etc), I wanted to ask opinions of members:

   are there great - or even fundamental - differences in ways that religions
view homosexuality?

   is(are) there religion(s) that are especially accepting or even view
homosexuality on an equal basis?

   contrarywise, religion(s) that are particularly hostile?

   and finally, divergence between religion(s) per se & the organized
expression/insitution(s) of religion?

   Thanks

   Tom

 Find out what India is talking about on  - Yahoo! Answers India
 Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get it
NOW