gay wedding

Walt Disney to offer Fairy Tale wedding package to gay couples

(11 April 2007 08:30)

Walt Disney is to open up its Fairy Tale wedding package to same sex couples
for the first time.

The cartoon and theme park magnate had previously allowed gay couples to
arrange their own weddings and commitment ceremonies at rented private rooms
within their resorts, but homosexual couples will now also be allowed to
exchange their vows in public.

A Disney spokesman said: “We are updating our Fairy Tale Wedding guidelines
to include commitment ceremonies.

of creating a welcoming, respectful and inclusive environment for all of our
guests.”

Disney denied the move was a result of campaigning by gay website
AfterElton.com, which criticised Disney for not allowing same-sex couples
onto its Fairy Tale programme.

Disney claims an enquiry from a guest prompted the policy change.

With the average Disney wedding costing around $28,000 (£14,200), the
decision could earn the company an extra $1.5m (£760,000) a year if just one
extra gay wedding is held a week.

Disney World has hosted 27,000 weddings since 1991.