Edit from  The Times Of India

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Kind_of_Normal/articleshow/2067546.cms

SOTTO VOCE: Kind of Normal
23 May, 2007 l 0023 hrs
ISThttp://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/images/spacer.giflhttp://timesofindia.
indiatimes.com/images/spacer.gifYamini Lohia
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/images/spacer.gifA fairly recent movie
encapsulates what one imagines the straight, heterosexual man or woman must
feel in our society today. A gay man wakes up in the morning and goes to
high school, only to realise that homosexuality is the societal norm whilst
heterosexuality is frowned upon. Since he's attracted to a pretty classmate
-- a girl -- he has to 'come out' all over again. Now, this movie wasn't
especially good, and certainly failed to explore the issues of what is
normal and abnormal in a society. But at a film festival on gender and
sexuality held in the capital recently, deviant sexuality predictably took
centre stage.

There were many worthy films that explored issues surrounding homosexuality
and queer sexuality. But the regular, average man or woman, confronting his
or her sexual issues in a rather puritanical society, were given short
shrift. It seems that for now, the avant-garde is 'cool'. The great Indian
middle class is therefore co-opting the atypical into the mainstream, by
making it hip to be 'different'. Younger people are adopting the abnormal,
making it normal, and ending up alienating the majority.

It's a strange world where a person has to be apologetic for being attracted
to the opposite sex. Yet, that is what has happened in our excessively
politically correct times. All it takes is one bleeding-heart liberal to
raise an objection about perceived anti-gay remarks, and one is derided as a
homophobic individual. The problem here isn't the motive behind a discussion
on queer sexuality. No doubt it has more to do with removing the social
stigma attached to being gay, or lesbian or transgender, than an attempt to
marginalise the mainstream. But in our eagerness to atone for our supposed
sins, we go too far, which creates more resentment and leads to the kind of
bigotry we were ashamed of in the first place

gb

 <http://groups.google.com/group/Gaybombay>
http://groups.google.com/group/Gaybombay

Website:  <http://www.gaybombay.in/> www.gaybombay.in