----- Original Message ----
From: GayBombay Events <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com; Gay Bombay
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 8:46:05 PM
Subject: gm GB Picnic to Matheran - 2 Events for the cost of 1 - A Curtain
Raiser.

In GB's attempt to create safe spaces where intellectual and emotional aspects
of gay life get preference over things carnal. GB Picnics took GB events from
the confined enclosures of pubs, discotheques and auditoriums to the vast
expanses of beaches and hill stations. From Kanheri Caves to Elephanta and now
Matheran, GB picnic have come a long way. We started with Kanheri Caves which
was very much within the city limits and everyone had to bring their own meal.
GB just made the gathering possible. Until we went to Lonavla where you were
picked up right from the forecourt of your house and dropped back, to the meals
and entertainment served on a platter. There's more to Matheran!

Why Matheran?
Matheran - where time stands still and our fast paced world seems to be a
distant planet. Matheran was discovered in 1850 by a British, Mr. Huge Poynt
Mallet, the then Collector of Thane, and was popularized as a tourist
destination by Lord Elphinstone the than Governor of Bombay. Matheran is an eco
sensitive region, and hence its flora and fauna are protected. Its eco system
is kept away from the modern transport infrastructure and systems. Tarred roads
don't exist here and hence modern vehicles that run on fossil fuels are not
seen here. They have to parked 3 kms outside the city centre. Buildings with
Victorian architecture have been preserved in Matheran and most of these
structures are declared heritage structures.

The only means to get into the heart of matheran is the 100 year old toy train
The railroad was the handiwork of Sir Adamjee Peerbhoy. He spent Rs. 16 lakh, a
princely sum back then to develop the railway. He even travelled to Germany to
produce special engines from Oriensten & Kopple. This 'toy train' is one of the
slowest forms of transport (12 miles per hour), but for the fans of nostalgia
and leisure, the train ride is an amazing experience. Along the 21-kilometer
track from Neral to Matheran laid out by the Great Indian Peninsula Railway,
India's first Railway company now renamed as Central Railway are some extremely
breathtaking views of the valleys.

What's different about this picnic?

1. We have combined 2 GB events into one. We have included a party in the cost
of a picnic. We shall be spending the day at a 4 star resort that houses the
best discotheque in Matheran. Apart from the pleasures of the picnic you can
party too.

2. You can swim in the pool, play carom, table tennis or pool or even workout
at the gym.

3. For the first time, half the seats on the toy train to Matheran are reserved
for us, Two compartments exclusively for GayBombay.

About GayBombay:

All GayBombay is a non profit group in service of the community. Balances if
any are used to support other non revenue events. Losses if any are made up by
the organisers.