Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:39:00 AM    **   'Mumbai is my oxygen'

 *Praful Baweja talks about life as a gay in the metropolis*

I  am a gay man, and my wardrobe has only one pink shirt. I don't wear
flowery patterns or talk home décor with my female colleagues, or tell them
"You should wear red, it looks so darling on you." I dress in boring browns
and blacks, and don't feel the need to colour my hair blonde and get regular
manicures just to conform to what people feel a gay man should look like.

Straight men think gay guys will settle for anything. Big myth. You walk
into a room and you can see the straight guy thinking — 'Uh oh, I'm going to
get molested', as if he's some sort of irresistible magnet. In fact, I think
gay men are more discriminating than women, maybe because being men
ourselves, we know what to avoid.

At home, my parents were initially not really aware of my sexuality. I got
all my support from my sister. Once I was supposed to be on a chat show on
TV, talking about homosexuality. The whole time, my sister and I were
fervently hoping that my parents wouldn't understand what it was about, and
how to respond if my family asked questions. In situations where even my
friends have gotten scared and backed out, she has stood by me completely.
To me, this is a sign of changing times and increasing support.

Mumbai is my oxygen. I cannot fathom and would not prefer my life any other
way and any other place. Today in Mumbai's offices no one really cares what
their colleague does in bed as long as he / she is getting their work done.
I have gone on overnight picnics and slept in the same bed with my
colleagues without any eyebrows being raised. You do have to deal with some
pretty nosy questions, though. Like men who want to know "Who is the woman
in the relationship." Actually, there isn't one. It's just two men. That's
really hard for them to understand, somehow. There's this huge curiosity
amongst straight men about what gay men actually do. It's amusing, but I
don't see why I should satisfy it.

Only this city gives you the freedom to pick your sexual position with
complete freedom. In other places, you have to be either in or out. Here,
you can be curious, experimenting, fence sitting, swinging on one side, or
both sides or just pretending. It is a true metropolis, where everyone finds
a place. When incidents like the recent police raid [at a private party in
Thane] occur, the reaction from part of the community is panic. After the
raid, I got dozens of freaked out SMS's from friends. I finally had to tell
them to stop being such chickens. Spreading this kind of fear isn't really
responsible, as it may discourage others from coming out.

For me, the only way to deal with such situations is to arm myself with
information. I stay in touch with networks and social forums. I've put
Article 377 on my Google alerts. I make sure I know my rights and can ask
the right questions if I'm ever bothered. I do all this so I don't have to
live in fear.

Right now the city has no special gay joints or spaces, because of the law.
Once Article 377 is changed, I am sure the city will boom with gay hang-out
clubs and joints, which will be throbbing with people. Advertisers will be
chasing this market. There will be coffee shops and non-sleazy bars where we
can just chill and be ourselves. Mumbai, will be perfect, then.

*Praful Baweja is a scriptwriter and an event consultant. He blogs at
pinkindiancurries.blogspot.com.*

--
www.gaybombay.in
www.gaybombay.info