From: lgbtindiagroup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: g_b IMPORTANT: PM's speech + Minister's remarks on S.377
To: gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 1 July, 2008, 3:23 PM

courtesy lgbtindia

IMPORTANT: PM's speech + Minister's remarks on S.377

Just after the success of National Pride, a potentially big new
development. The Prime Minister has made a speech where he calls for
support for minority communities affected by HIV/AIDS, including
homosexuals, and says that legal barriers that prevent services
reaching them should go.

And at the same function Minister of State Oscar Fernandes finally
said it openly: "Section 377 needs to go. This is something we really
need to move forward on."

For context, please note this mail I'd posted on QMC earlier about
the UNAIDS Commission on the Impact of HIV in Asia chaired by Dr.C.
Rangarajan. As expected the report is very positive on issues like
the need for legal change. I had posted the background and relevant
sections earlier on this list. If you want to read the full report
here's the link:

A basic story on the report:

http://www.unaids. org/en/Knowledge Centre/Resources /FeatureStories/ arch
ive/2008/20080326_ asia_commission. asp

Full report:

http://data. unaids.org/ pub/Report/ 2008/20080326_ report_commissio n_aids
_en.pdf

Fact sheets (2):

http://data. unaids.org/ pub/FactSheet/ 2008/20080326_ fs_asiacommissio n_p
art1_en.pdf
http://data. unaids.org/ pub/FactSheet/ 2008/20080326_ fs_asiacommissio n_p
art2_en.pdf

Thanks to Dr.Rangarajan' s position as one of the prime minister's
main advisors he was able to arrange a function where the report was
presented to the PM. This happened yesterday and I'd come to Delhi
for that (Pride was a bonus!). Anand Grover was there and Ashok was
supposed to be there too, but couldn't come.

It was all very high power, high security, protocol, etc, but worth
it because what was said was excellent. Dr.Rangarajan gave an
excellent speech outlining the commission's recommendations,
repeatedly mentioning the need to remove legal issues that complicate
HIV/AIDS outreach with Men who have Sex with Men.

Then the PM spoke, and as is characteristic with him, he was low key
and restrained. But the speech was longer than I expected and it
seemed quite heartfelt, especially towards the end. He did not
specifically promise to remove 377, but he spoke of the need to
remove stigmas and legal barriers facing all groups and, yes, he said
the word 'homosexual' , rather endearingly stumbling a bit so it came
across as "homossekssuals" , but he said it!

Here is the link to the speech, the relevant portions and since its
so important I will paste the full speech anyway below:

http://www.pmindia. nic.in/lspeech. asp?id=691

"The HIV/AIDS epidemic has brought into focus many of our social
prejudices. The overwhelming number of cases are due to transmission
through the sexual route. Strategies for tackling it require more
inclusive and less judgmental social approaches to questions of
public health and personal hygiene.

"This must begin by addressing the issue of the social stigma that
attaches to those who carry the AIDS virus. I do believe that growing
consciousness about HIV/AIDS is forcing us to address these issues.

"The government should play a leading role in this. We should work to
remove legislative barriers that hinder access of high-risk groups to
services. There is a proposal for a law which would penalize anyone
discriminating against an AIDS infected person from access to
employment, property or services. This should be given serious
consideration.

"The fact that many of the vulnerable social groups, be they sex
workers or homosexuals or drug users, face great social prejudice has
made the task of identifying AIDS victims and treating them very
difficult.

"If we have to win this fight against HIV/AIDS we have to create a
more tolerant social environment. One need not condone socially
unacceptable or medically inadvisable sexual practices in seeking a
more tolerant approach to the problem. It is in the interests of the
entire society that everyone afflicted by AIDS wins the battle
against it. They deserve and have the right to live lives of dignity."

If Dr.Singh was circumspect, the speaker who followed him, Oscar
Fernandes, the minister of state (independent charge) for Labour and
Employment, was not. He got up and said it (from my notes):

"It is time for politicians to come together to repeal Section 377 of
the Indian Penal Code. Many other countries have repealed the law and
it is now time India moves forward on this."

For most people in the audience - institutions like UNAIDS, the
National AIDS Control Organisation, bureaucrats, a few lawyers and
journalists - this was electrifying. We were finally hearing a senior
member of the government, in the presence of the prime minister,
saying that S.377 needs to go! After the function was over and we
were having tea we descended on the Minister, who admitted he has
wondered about saying it, but after half an hour of discussion wit
advisors, he decided to go ahead.

It was amazing, but its also true that its questionable how much this
means in reality. This government seems to be on its last legs so its
not clear what it could do, even if it wanted to - its one thing
making statements to sympathisers, quite another to do something
practical. Nor is it clear that taking it to politicians is the best
solution, since the chances are that politics could kill any positive
moves, whereas the courts may be more willing to listen to the
principles involved. And the Ministry of Home Affairs, which is
opposing decriminalisation is much less progressive - we realised
this at an interaction during a workshop on the report where a MHA
representative was polite, but not too receptive (but she has
promised to meet with Ashok to talk on this more).

Nonetheless, it is still something. It is an indication of how far
things are coming, and how support is now becoming the default
position, rather than homophobia bred of ignorance. We can help this
by publicising this more, so please everyone, get out there and start
selling this story. I know there might be queer story fatigue after
Sunday, but we should use Sunday as a springboard for more in depth
stories of which this changed attitude on the part of the government
can be a part (Lesley, Outlook cover?)

Here's the PM's full speech:

PM's remarks on the release of the Report of the Commission on AIDS
in Asia

June 30, 2008
New Delhi

I am indeed very pleased to launch the Report of the Commission on
AIDS in Asia. I compliment my friend, Dr. C. Rangarajan, and his
colleagues on the Commission for producing an extremely important
report. It is a well-researched document that puts together
information and analysis that can help us evolve strategies for
reversing the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the countries of Asia.

It is heartening to note that the report validates the basic
strategic framework that has been adopted in India. It reiterates and
reconfirms our understanding of the epidemic. It shows that the
measures that we have adopted in India to reverse the pandemic have a
sound basis.

The report has underlined clearly the importance of a public health
approach to the problem if we want sustainable gains. The public
health approach places emphasis on strategies that focus on
vulnerable population groups, among whom the virus is primarily
lodged, and goes to the root of the problem with the objective of
arresting its transmission.

It is a matter of some satisfaction that the situation in India is
not as alarming as it was portrayed to be some years ago. While it
used to be claimed that India may have up to 5 million persons
affected by HIV, more recent estimates suggest that the number could
be between 2 to 3 million, mainly in the States of Andhra Pradesh,
Karnataka, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.

[...]

The target intervention projects that have been taken up with a focus
on vulnerable populations are useful and necessary. This should be
accompanied by more broad based educational programmes. Modern sex
education at the appropriate school stages is of great value.

The report has highlighted the importance of political engagement and
leadership as a key part of national responses to HIV and AIDS. Law
enforcement agencies and the judiciary need to be co-opted to support
progressive policies that address the problem.

The importance of community and civil society involvement at all
stages of policy has been emphasized. It is only with their help that
that public awareness regarding healthy sexual practices, including
the use of condoms, can be widely propagated and social prejudices
ended.

We need to understand the vulnerabilities that force some to resort
to risky behaviour patterns and give them access to reliable and
relevant information and basic services. We must give them adequate
support to make their own choices in full awareness and
responsibility. We need to encourage behaviour change and mould
social attitudes, while shedding our inhibitions regarding matters
related to sexual choices.

Our Government is fully committed to supporting the strategies and
work being done by the National AIDS Control Organisation. It is
heartening to see the strides that have been made in the last two
years in scaling up access to services keeping in view the balance
between prevention and treatment. I compliment the Union Health
Ministry and NACO for the leadership they have shown in tackling this
very difficult problem and containing the disease.

I appeal to all medical practitioners, hospitals and blood banks
across the country to adopt zero risk and best practice methods for
blood collection and blood transfusion. Every citizen must have
complete confidence in our blood safety practices. I am therefore,
happy that an initiative has been taken to establish a national blood
transfusion authority.

The problem of HIV/AIDS, and other pandemics like SARS and Avian Flu,
demonstrate clearly the wisdom of that ancient Indian
saying, "Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam". That "THE WHOLE WORLD IS ONE
FAMILY". Like all phenomenon in nature, diseases do not respect
national boundaries. Hence societal response to pandemics cannot be
limited to national response alone.

Of course, every country and every government must have a strategy to
deal with such threats to human safety and health. We need preventive
and curative strategies at the national and local level. However,
such national effort must be part of a wider regional and
international effort. I am therefore, happy to see that my friend Dr.
Rangaranjan chaired this commission which takes a wider view of the
problem at the Asian level.

We live in an increasingly integrated world. There are few problems
today that humankind faces which can be solved effectively within
national boundaries by individual governments. Be it the problem of
pandemics, be it the problem of food security, be it the problem of
rising energy prices, be it the problem of water scarcity and water
utilization, be it the problem of climate change and global warming,
be it the problem of terrorism, be it the problem of drug peddling
and arms proliferation, be it the threat of the proliferation of
weapons of mass destruction - all of them require effective
cooperative action at the global level.

Each and every challenge that we face has transnational dimensions
and transnational implications. The world in which national
governments have to deal with the challenges they face on their own,
on the premise of national sovereignty and national self-interest, no
longer exists. We live in the era of global interdependence.

I am encouraged by the fact that the global response to HIV/AIDS has
been constructive and has yielded positive results. I hope this will
show us the way forward in dealing with other similar challenges. I
hope this report adds to the available wisdom on the subject and will
help us in shaping a more effective response at home. I compliment
the authors of this report.

Thank you.