Ashok, Aditya, Vikram, Asfan -

As a graduate of The Gunnery School in Washington, CT, USA...forty years
ago...I have been watching the development of this case over the last
week...and  have been trying to understand how a case of homosexual pedophilia
against a  teacher would be pursued in India..

In the USA...this case was kept under cover for two months to allow the
police to properly investigate the allegations...at the time that the police
had  developed sufficient corroborating evidence from other students...the
charges  were laid against the teacher and he was arraigned before the
court...he paid  $750,000.00 ( 3.75 crores) as bail and had to turn in his
passport...some  reports indicate that if convicted he could spend anywhere
from 3
to 60 years in  prison..

In the USA the teacher is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty...so
many of the case details have been sealed from public viewing...both to
protect  the teacher and the students...and to permit the police to further
investigate  the teacher, about 4500 students he had contact with over the past
15 years, and  the teacher's friends and acquaintances..

Needless to say...even if this man is proven innocent...it will very hard
for him to ever find work dealing with children again..

What do you imagine would happen with this case here in India??

See story and/or link below..

Elizabeth

Former Gunnery Dean Charged
_http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20356504&BRD=1655&PAG=461&dept_id
=13091&rfi=6_
(http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20356504&BRD=1655&PAG=461&dept_id=13091&rfi=6)

By: Tracy Kennedy
08/07/2009

 (javascript: openEmailWindow();) _Email to a friend_ (javascript:
openEmailWindow();)
(http://www.zwire.com/site/?brd=1655&pag=795&newsid=20356504&action=submit)
_Post  a Comment_
(http://www.zwire.com/site/?brd=1655&pag=795&newsid=20356504&action=submit)
(http://www.zwire.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1655&dept_id=13091&newsid=20356504)
 _Printer-friendly_
(http://www.zwire.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1655&dept_id=13091&newsid=20356504)

Three students reported to police that former Gunnery School  Dean of
Students Robert Reinhardt sexually assaulted them at the school, but  there may
be more alleged victims.

   "The investigation is  ongoing," Assistant State's Attorney Terri
Sonnemann said Wednesday.
Mr.  Reinhardt, 45, was re­leased from state custody after posting a
total of  $750,000 bonds in three cases. He traveled from his home in Telford,
Pa., where  he has been living with a sister for the last two months, to
surrender at the  state police barracks in Litchfield at 6:09 a.m. that day.
"He intends to  plead not guilty," Mr. Reinhardt's attorney, William Dow,
said. "We've had some  preliminary investigation, and it appears there is a
valid defense of the  charges and we intend to pursue that."
Mr. Reinhardt, who is also  represented by attorney Mark Rembish, is
scheduled to appear in Litchfield  Superior Court Sept. 1.
Judge Charles D. Gill sealed the arrest warrants in  the three cases. All
of the five criminal charges depict incidents that occurred  in Washington,
where the prestigious private boarding school is located.  According to the
charging documents, the state alleges that Mr. Reinhardt had  sex with a
student under 16 years of age on "divers dates" from April 2007 until  June
2008, committing the crime of second-degree sexual assault.
In a second  case, the state alleges Mr. Reinhardt had sex with another
student under the age  of 16 between October 2007 and May 2009, charging him
with second-degree sexual  assault and risk of injury to a minor.
The third case alleges Mr. Reinhardt  committed fourth-degree sexual
assault and risk of injury to a minor, by having  sexual contact with a minor
June
2, 2009.
The State Police, which is  continuing its investigation, stated that it
"initiated a criminal  investigation" in June after the parents of the student
in the third case filed  a complaint. The Washington resident state trooper
began the investigation,  which led to two more students coming forward and
the issuance of three arrest  warrants.
"The allegations demonstrate a complete abuse of power," Ms.  Sonnemann
said.
Judge Gill ordered Mr. Reinhardt to surrender his passport  and to stay
away from students at The Gunnery. No general conditions were  ordered about
having contact with minors.
Mr. Reinhardt, who was employed by  the school for 13 years, as a chemistry
teacher and crew coach, lived on the  220-acre Gunnery campus in a
dormitory where he served as a dorm parent.
"His  place was a hangout for kids," Attorney Susan K. Smith said. She
represents one  of the three complainants that reportedly came forward.
Attorney
Richard Kenny  represents two others, she said.
Private schools are fertile ground for  pedophiles because children live on
campus and have less contact with their  parents, Ms. Smith said. "We see
predator pedophiles get themselves involved in  professions and activities
involving children where they get automatic trust of  children and exploit
them to their benefit," she said. "They know how to groom  and abuse these
children and gain their trust."
She said the complainants are  considering a civil suit against Mr.
Reinhardt.
"We are monitoring the  criminal case at this point, and we want to let the
state police and prosecutor  do their job," Ms. Smith said.
When the school was contacted, Head of School  Susan G. Graham issued a
statement that the safety of students at the school is  a top priority. In
June, when The Gunnery learned about the allegation, the  school reported it to
child welfare authorities.
"The faculty member in  question has left the school's employment. We take
this matter very seriously  and are fully cooperating with the authorities
in this matter," Ms. Graham's  statement said.
The allegations against Mr. Reinhardt are almost as serious  as a
conviction, Mr. Dow said.
"Our investigation shows he was highly  regarded by other professionals both
 at his school and elsewhere," the attorney  said.
"Attempting to preserve the constitutional right to a presumption of
innocence in these types of cases is very difficult," Mr. Dow said. "It's a
nightmare for anyone accused of these types of crimes, but especially for
someone in his position."

©The Housatonic  Times 2009