Rahul,

What us not clear from your mail is which part of India you are based in. This
is important as in most metro cities there are ample gay support networks and
structures now that you can plug into.

It's clear that you are conflicted and still seeking finality about the
question if your sexual orientation. However if for five years you have avoided
guys and still feel attracted toward them, then it's likely that you are in
fact gay (or bi). Your comfort and personal closure will begin the day you
acknowledge this as a fact and stop fighting it! This is simply because it
cannot be fought! It has to be accepted and you must learn to become
comfortable with it.

You can begin to rebuild your stressed and conflicted mind only after you get
to this acceptance if who you are! For afterwards, it will not be about how to
change something that you cannot change anyway, but more about what best to
make if it!

If you can come to this acceptance, I'd  ask you to get connected. You do not
have to have only straight friends, if their lifestyles 'other' you amongst
them. It does not mean that you stop being friends with them, it only means
that you remain their friends on your terms and if those terms are not
acceptable to them, them may be those specific friends are worth dropping from
your friends list.

It also means that you stop judging your life constantly by their standards, a
set if standards that cannot be applied to you in any case.

Once you connect with gay support networks, you'd get into a support structure
where you can observe alternate possibilities in those you come into contact
with. It's not an overnight process, and you must give adequate time. But it
would certainly give you the option of not having tongued or defend yourself
all the time, both very stressful.

You do not have to come out to your patents, at least not right now. Most
Indian parents are not hot wired to treat their children as sexual beings,
therefore if you Di not discuss it with them, it's ok! In any event you should
not broach this until such time you are sure yourself and you also have the
economic and support to stand up on your own irrespective of their reaction to
your disclosure! Broaching this subject now may lead them to try to 'change'
you, which believe me, will completely fuck up your life and happiness for good!

You being a student, I'd suggest you get on to the queer campus group(s) on
Facebook, especially the one for your city, if it exists. There you'll find
more people with your age group who are comfortable with themselves!
Participate in these forums, don't be a silent observer! Participation will
open you to newer options and possibilities and will certainly clear things in
your mind!

Finally, it's not easy, but if you accept your reality, you will live a more
honest, stress free, and happy life. Ultimately, that is YOUR LIFE, that you
life that you live by your choices, and not live it by other' expectations,
others' values, or others' dictates! That is a life of freedom, that is true
liberty! Otherwise you will live what is essentially a life of mental and
emotional slavery, which can be very destructive of the self!

I wish you well!

Regards and best,

Aditya Bondyopadhyay
(Sent from my iPhone)