Dear All,
This is a little 'gloat' moment, when we can sit back in the Delhi Pride
Committee and give ourselves a little pat in the back that there is
something that we have done right over the years. Namely we have told NO to
sponsors (Corporate, NGO, Gay-Business, self serving busybodies, and
others). The fact that we have a OPEN system where everybody can
participate (or not, their choice), can take on responsibilities, and can
delegate duties collectively is one of the best things about this pride.

Over the years, there have been increasing pressure to change this as we
seem to have a waiting list of sponsors who'd love to come in with their
money and banners to show their solidarity and partake of the pink rupee
pie. In our wisdom we have resisted so far, and what is happening at the
San Francisco Pride (Yes, the mother pride of them all), gives us good
reason to believe that we are on the right track. Small is beautiful for
sure in this case. If by lack of sponsors Delhi Pride remains a smallish
affair with intimate participation, so be it.

Last year the organisers of the SF Pride had declared that Chelsea (Then
Bradley) manning would be honoured in the pride with a special float and
declared her Grand Marshall of Pride. The corporate monies that bankroll
pride, kicked back furiously, lest the federal administration of the
democrats turn fasci on them and cut off their balls. Within days the
decision was reversed and to make up for a bad choice, Manning was crowned
National Traitor no.1.

The Gay community of SF observed and did not like this. This weekend there
were elections for 7 vacancies on the Board. A pro-Chelsea Manning slate
opposing the corporatization of Pride ran, and won majorities for 6 out of
the 7 seats.

Then, in a raucous 9-hour meeting, the existing Board, no doubt egged on by
their alarmed corporate backers, decided that actually nobody was elected,
because they unilaterally reinterpreted their own election bylaws in a
completely insane way. Apparently they wanted "No" votes against candidates
to count twice, saying in effect that every 'No' vote also cancels out a
'Yes' vote. I am sure the time will come soon when the community will ask
the logical sequel to that decision, namely why every "Yes" vote should not
similarly cancel a "No" vote?

Thus democracy was queered twice within the year in the land of the free. I
have a feeling that this victory following a constitutional coup, is
temporary, for the spirit of the LGBT community that is the real mover of
pride will not take a slap to their faces by the big monies, lying down.

Things will likely get messy before they get well. But after that they will
most probably start thinking in terms of what we have been saying back here
in our 3rd world corner for years. That the community matters more than the
sponsors who supposedly bankroll community events. This is a good thing for
us to learn from and not go rogue for the money. To keep Pride open and
free for all. To dare the big monies to come in as non entities, if they
are true about their conviction towards LGBT support.

Find a Bay Area Reporter Edit that summarises the drama in Frisco below:

http://ebar.com/blogs/sf-pride-board-members-endorse-themselves/

Best regards,
Aditya Bondyopadhyay

ADITYA BONDYOPADHYAY
Development Sector Consultant
Advocate (Regd. No. F-218/192 of 1997, Bar Council of W.Bengal, India)

Website: http://adityabondyopadhyay.webs.com/
================================
Notice to all recipients:
Communication not intended for you but reaching you inadvertently needs to
be treated as confidential and destroyed or deleted immediately. Use of
such communication in a manner prejudicial to the interest of Aditya
Bondyopadhyay and/or his principals, and/or his clients, and/or his agents
respectively, may attract legal proceedings which may be of a civil or
criminal nature.

Aditya Bondyopadhyay and/or his principals, and/or his clients, and/or his
agents respectively cannot be held liable or accountable for any and every
communication reaching out through this email account that is an unaltered
forward of another communication received by this email account, or a
referred source available on the internet and accessible to the public.