Fundamental Rights meaningless if Moral Majority rules: AP Shah #Sec377 #ipc377
#repeal377

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/if-an-issue-of-morality-is-to-be-decided-by-majority-then-fundamental-right-has-no-meaning/1210431/

 Print  Close Window

'If an issue of morality is to be decided by majority, then fundamental right
has no meaning'

Maneesh Chhibber Posted online: Sun Dec 22 2013, 03:17 hrs
Retd Delhi HC Chief Justice and the man behind a landmark verdict
decriminalising homosexuality, Justice A P Shah feels the Supreme Court setting
aside that order is unfortunate. At this Idea Exchange moderated by Senior
Editor (Legal Affairs) Maneesh Chhibber, he also talks about his new assignment
as Law Commission chief, where he is looking into electoral reforms, live-in
relationships and age of juvenility

Maneesh Chhibber: Can you explain how you wrote your Section 377 judgment?

I wouldn’t like to comment on the Supreme Court judgment but that doesn’t bar
me from speaking about the rights of LGBTs, the Constitutional morality we
talked about in the high court case, and the government’s position.

Let me start with this — some speak of this as a ‘western disease’. First of
all, it is not western. Temple imagery and essential scriptures show there is
some evidence of homosexuality being practised in this country... The British
brought in Section 377 and there is the presumption that one of the reasons was
(they feared) their army and daughters would be tainted by Oriental vices...
What is so startling is that Section 377 travelled back to England. Later it
was repealed, in the sense that their judicial committee recommended that for
consenting adults it should not be a crime. This is the position in almost all
of Europe, US.

There are critical nuances of the (Supreme Court) judgment which I would not
like to go into, but I would like to tell you about how far it is permissible
for the State to legislate on the ground of public morality. What is envisaged
by the Constitution is not popular morality. Probably public morality is the
reflection of the moral normative values of the majority of the population, but
Constitutional morality derives its contents from the values of the
Constitution.

For instance, untouchability was approved by the majority, but the Constitution
prohibited untouchability as a part of social engineering. Sati was at one time
approved by the majority, but in today’s world, it would be completely
inconsistent with the Constitution... In public morality and Constitutional
morality, there might be meeting points. For instance, gambling. That would be
prohibited by law, and that’s also the perception of public morality.

I think the real answer to this debate is Constitutional morality. And this is
the most important point — it has to be traced to the counter-majoritarian role
of the judiciary. A modern democracy is based on two principles — of majority
rule and the need to protect fundamental rights. The very purpose of
fundamental rights is to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of
political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities, and
establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. It is the job
of the judiciary to balance the principles ensuring that the government on the
basis of numbers does not override fundamental rights.

I would like to refer to my own notes and preparation. In case of a moral
legislation, when it is being reviewed by a Constitutional court, then the rule
of ‘majority rules’ should not count, because if the issue of morality is to be
decided by the majority, as represented by the legislature and Parliament, then
the fundamental right has no meaning. It is to be decided on the basis of
Constitutional values and not majority rule.

About homosexuality being a disease... this is no longer treated as a disease
or a disorder. There is near unanimous medical, psychiatric opinion that it is
just another expression of human sexuality.

With this, I come to the last part, that ‘What is the harm to the LGBT (with
this law), that ultimately these provisions are not enforced’. It is true that
in the last 150 years there might have been 200 prosecutions... But even when
these provisions are not enforced, they reduce sexual minorities to — what one
author (in a US judgment) has referred to — ‘unapprehended felons’.

Apart from the misery and fear, a few more of the consequences of such laws are
to legitimise and encourage blackmail, police and private violence, and
discrimination. We could see some evidence that was placed before us, what is
called the ‘Lucknow incident’. This was a support group to create awareness
about AIDS etc, they were arrested, and although they should have been released
on bail immediately, they remained in custody for more than two months because
of Section 377.

Rakesh Sinha: What was the first thought that crossed your mind when the
Supreme Court overturned your ruling?

That it is unfortunate.

Coomi Kapoor: One reason for the conservativeness of the judgments of courts
may be the ages of the judges.

I was 62, about to retire (at the time he gave the Section 377

judgment).

Seema Chishti: Do you think the big mistake in the rush for criminal law
amendment in the wake of the December 16 gangrape was to not make it gender
neutral? If that was made gender neutral, and you recognised man to man
harassment, it would take away the need for 377?

There was an urgent need to make certain changes in the existing rape laws,
there cannot be two opinions on that. I think it was touched with haste. Not
only were there some lacunae but also it should have gone beyond the provisions
which they made. Perhaps the government was not prepared to commit to the other
reforms suggested by the Justice Verma committee.

Seema Chishti: Given the public mood to ‘clean up’ things, the Lokpal is being
seen as a very important tool. Do you think we are running into a problem? We
anyway had a problem about judges appointing themselves, and now we have a
Lokpal who sits in judgment over elected persons. Who is going to monitor the
monitors?

When the idea of appointing a Lokpal was mooted, it was on the lines of the
institution of ombudsman in many countries. Ombudsman is not necessarily an
anti-corruption body, it’s about good governance. In India, administrative
committees’ reports found that this institution was necessary to fight
corruption in high places. We have made a sort of an amalgamation of ombudsman
and anti-corruption body, with more emphasis on anti-corruption. I have seen
the Bills, appeared before the select committee of the present Lokpal Bill, and
had seen the Jan Lokpal Bill conceived by Arvind Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan.
The Jan Lokpal Bill, I feel, is creating a monster.

The first thing is accountability. The other ombudsman institutions are
accountable to Parliament, to the legislature. If you create an institution
which is neither accountable to the executive nor the legislature, there will
be no system of checks and balances.

The Lokpal Bill is not as strong as the Jan Lokpal Bill; thankfully, it’s a
much more balanced. The whole idea of the CBI being placed under the control of
the Lokpal is not really a bright idea. You should not make one institution so
strong that it can override all other institutions and constitutional systems.

Seema Chishti: And the judges appointing themselves?

Now, there is a Bill, but it is nothing new. In 1990, such a Bill was
introduced by Dinesh Goswami. Unfortunately, the government had to go. There
have been two reports of the Law Commission suggesting that there should be a
judicial commission. In a 1993 judgment, the Supreme Court read the word
‘consultation’ to mean ‘concurrence’, and this is how the primacy is vested in
the Chief Justice of India. It has been very strongly criticised. First, it’s
not transparent, and second, there is no input about the ability of a possible
candidate because it’s only a judges’ committee, sitting in a closed room
deciding about appointments, elevations, more like a club. It has encouraged a
lot of sycophancy. Thankfully, the government has brought the Bill.

Prawesh Lama: There have been cases of rape law being misused. Recently, an NGO
director committed suicide after being accused of assault. Should there be a
mechanism to ensure laws aren’t misused?

It is Indian tendency to give knee-jerk reactions. After the episode of
December 2012, there were reactions. We go to extremes and forget rationality.
Also, these laws will not work unless we have police reforms and judicial
reforms simultaneously. What is the use of a very strict law if police are
lacking in integrity or are inefficient?

Aneesha Mathur: The Delhi High Court has consistently given judgments saying
that there should be a re-look at how police are dealing with these laws. Even
in the Section 377 judgment, the Supreme Court said that exactly defining an
unnatural act is not possible, and we’ll have to see how the courts deal with
it. What can the judiciary do to ensure there’s no misuse?

The judiciary has its limitations. I know of half a dozen judgments of the
Supreme Court on improving the present conditions, but there is no change in
the situation. One of the criticisms labelled against PIL jurisdiction is that
judiciary has to rely on the good faith of the executive. Have the orders
passed on PILs changed the lives of ordinary Indians? Judiciary is no
substitute for political activism or for legislative processes.

Krishna UPPULURI*: India’s Deputy Consul General in New York Devyani Khobragade
has been arrested as per the US laws. Can we use Indian laws to prosecute
homosexual diplomats?

This would be going beyond the diplomatic limits.

Utkarsh Anand: Do you think Justice A K Ganguly should step down?

I should not talk on this issue.

Utkarsh Anand: A Supreme Court Committee was constituted to inquire into the
allegations against him. Should the committee have indicted him while
simultaneously saying that we don’t have jurisdiction over retired judges?

It was a critical situation for the court. When something leaked in the media,
the whole institution came under a cloud. What he was saying is absolutely
correct because, even as per the Vishakha guidelines, the case would not fall
within the powers of the Supreme Court Committee. But if the committee had
simply said that it has no jurisdiction, it would have reflected very badly on
the institution. I think the committee was right, the three judges were right.
I read the order as an assurance to the people that the institution cares for
these matters, though they can’t take any action.

Maneesh Chhibber: One of the biggest problems of the judiciary is that it is a
most exclusive club. Any transparency law, they are the last ones to implement
it. Don’t you think this hurts the institution?

I think transparency is the hallmark of any judiciary. All administrative
decisions taken by the court should be on the website — how much is spent by
the institution, how many cases are disposed of. All this information, and not
only about pendency and disposal by the judges but also the entire functioning
of the court should be in the public domain.

Ankita Mahendru*: What is your view on the legal process followed by the US in
the arrest of Devyani Khobragade.

What I read in your newspaper is that this is the standard procedure. Where we
are really missing the point is about the victim. What about the maid?

Amulya Gopalakrishnan: A lot of feminist activists want the rape law to be made
gender specific for the victim and gender neutral for the perpetrator.
Parliament did not do that. A lot of men who are raped are left out. Is it
possible to draft a law like that?

The existing provisions can be slightly amended so as to make them gender
neutral. The draft is not bad, it can be improved.

Vandita Mishra: Over the past few years, there has been a weakening of the
political executive and the legislature. Parliament has not functioned as it
should have. That has led to the judiciary overreaching in many cases. Do you
think there are dangers to this?

After the Emergency, the judiciary took up the role of a protector of human
rights of the marginalised and the disadvantaged. If you look at the PILs
entertained by courts in those times, they were in the nature of social action,
social interest litigation, not really a PIL. Slowly, the court expanded its
jurisdiction and then we had (PILs on) good governance, corruption-free
government or the rule of law, judicial appointments. But what happened after
2001 is that you could file a PIL about anything under the sun. Many of these
PILs are not connected with human rights issues and that is the real danger.
Some of the PILs entertained were about monkey menace, sealing of shops,
traffic management or role of tourists in wildlife sanctuary. Just see to what
extent courts have gone into policymaking. One example is the river linking
case. Almost all experts said that it is not feasible. In spite of that, the
court issued directions. Nothing happened thereafter, that is a different
issue. Judicial activism is for issues for which there was earlier a
legislative solution. This could be almost touching judicial imperialism or
judicial adventurism.

The other problem is the creeping eliticism in the judiciary. I was shocked to
see so much concern about the occupants of the Campa Cola building among the
media and judiciary. What about the thousands of families who, for some
beautification of the city and Commonwealth Games, are asked to move 20 km away
from Delhi?

Maneesh Chhibber: In its review petition in the Section 377 case, the Centre is
saying that while lawmaking is the sole responsibility of Parliament, it’s the
task of the court to judge the constitutional validity of laws. Isn’t the
executive ceding to the judiciary?

The court has to decide when it comes to a human rights issue. But if it is a
policy matter, the legislature has precedence. If the Delhi High Court was
right in its conclusion that there is violation of Articles 14, 15 and 19 and
21 — if that is the position — then it is the court which could deal with it,
even if there is no amendment in the law. But that does not absolve the
government from taking the call and making the amendment. They could have done
it when the laws were changed in the wake of the Delhi gangrape case. There
might be a lack of political will.

Rakesh Sinha: There is an ongoing debate on the age of juvenility. But child
rights workers have concerns too.

We have taken it up, appointed an experts’ committee in the Law Commission.

Muzamil Jaleel: What is your view on amendments in the UAPA or the Armed Forces
Special Powers Act.

I have spoken against these laws several times. I feel that certain rights
should not be compromised. It is the burden of democratic countries that they
have to deal with the problem of terrorism, and they have to fight it with one
arm tied down.

Prawesh Lama: Shouldn’t police officers be punished when they arrest an
innocent person and brand him a terrorist?

Apart from action against the concerned police officers, we should have laws to
give some remedy to the person who has been wronged by the system.

Transcribed by Aditi Vatsa and Aneesha Mathur/

These are EXIMS students