Hi Volker,,

I agree. This rule seems pointless if not enforced.

The only reason I could see to keep it (without consistent enforcement)
would be so any member could be removed if they had not "technically"
broken any of the bylaws.

A hedge against disruptive rules lawyers, perhaps.

Best Regards

Adam Farley
IBM Runtimes

>Hi,
>
>I just stumbled upon the following phrase in section 8 (OpenJDK
>Members) of the OpenJDK Bylaws:
>
>"Every OpenJDK Membership is subject to automatic Expiration after one
>year, but will be renewed upon request. A request for renewal must be
>received within one year of expiration..."
>
>I was a little surprised to read this because I've never requested the
>renewal of my membership in the OpenJDK Members group but lucky
>enough, my membership hasn't expired until now.
>
>I think the above mentioned paragraph has never been exercised in
>practice. I also don't see why it should be really needed. I therefor
>propose to completely remove this paragraph from section 8 of the
>Bylaws.
>
>If you insist in keeping it, we should set up an infrastructure to
>track the membership status in the OpenJDK Members group. Every member
>should have the possibility to see at which exact date his membership
>will expire. One or two reminder mails before the membership expires
>(e.g. one month and one week before the expiration date) would be
>reasonable as well. But, to repeat myself, I think that's too much
>overhead for a hardly relevant benefit.
>
>Thank you and best regards,
>Volker

Unless stated otherwise above: