https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=127603

--- Comment #4 from Steve Kargl <kargl at gcc dot gnu.org> ---
(In reply to Jonathan Wakely from comment #3)
> That's definitely pilot error, you can't do an incremental build from gcc-14
> to master.

I wasn't trying to do an incremental build from 14 to master.  I was
a mistake in that I rarely build 14 and forgot how my script worked.

> You need a clean build after switching between completely divergent branches.
> 
> A much better workflow is to stop switching between extremely different
> branches (such as gcc-14 and master). Use git worktree to manage a different
> directory for each branch, e.g. separate worktree dirs for master, gcc-16,
> gcc-15, and gcc-14. Then use a separate build tree for each one. That way
> the obj-14 build dir only ever looks at the gcc-14 worktree, and doesn't get
> invalidated by switching branches.

(Un)fortunately, I was not paid to learn yet another RCS. 
Anything other than 'git clone', 'git diff', 'git pull -ff',
and 'git reset --hard' are very rarely used by me.  I came
up with my Bourne over several hours of hacking.  I suppose
a better workflow for me is to simply stop testing patches
developed on master for possible merging back to older
branches.

Reply via email to