On Sep 14, 2005, Joe Buck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:15:43PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> Yep, it was pointer subtraction, and GCC actually optimized the
>> division, that could in theory be assumed to be exact, into a
>> multiplication by a large constant (aah, the wonders of modulo
>> arithmetics :-)

> People that don't like the GCC optimization

It's not entirely clear that you got the impression I didn't like it.
I have no objection at all, I was just providing the additional
details as to the bug we'd run into because of unspecified uses of
pointer subtraction, as requested by DanJ.

Red Hat Compiler Engineer   [EMAIL PROTECTED], gcc.gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist  [EMAIL PROTECTED], gnu.org}