I think, like Ian, that conversions from V4SF to V4SI, via an ordinary
cast, should perform a conversion; this should be the same as converting
each of the individual floats to int.  Then, since the bit-preserving
conversion is also useful, we should have another syntax for that.

However, the Altivec situation, coupled with the fact that
bit-preserving conversion is our current behavior, makes me think that,
what I might think the ideal language-design ought to be may have little
relevance.  Do people think it's viable to change the default kind of
conversion, on targets other than Altivec?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery