On 07/06/2006, at 11:33 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:29:44AM -0700, Devang Patel wrote:
And string does not answer localization issue, however for numbers at least
there is one precedent to follow.

I think this discussion has gotten totally sidetracked.  When I said
I was in favor of strings, I didn't mean messages that would ever be
displayed!  It's the difference between DW_TAG_compile_unit and
"compile-unit".

Apparently, "strings" means lots of different things to different people. Everyone hopes that a string will solve their perceived problem without realising that everyone else is hoping for something incompatible.

It is no more work for the producer or for the consumer, it's clearer,
and conflicts are much less likely.  The only downside is that it's
larger.  But with string duplicate elimination - your linker can
do that, I hope - it's only larger by a trivial amount.

It's important to realise that when we complain about debug size, we mean in .o files. Our linker doesn't copy any DWARF debug information to its product.