On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 16:51, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> On 6/27/06, David McCullough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > AFAIK,  you need to drop the -FPIC in favour of -fpic everywhere.
>
> >From the GCC manual, -fpic vs. -fPIC `makes a difference on the m68k,
> PowerPC and SPARC.' For my purposes, it makes no difference on the
> ARM.

We don't currently do this, but we could make a distinction between
-fpic and -fPIC on ARM by exploiting the R_ARM_GOT_BREL12 relocation.
This would limit the GOT to 1024 entries (a really smart linker might be
able to push that to 2047) which would handle most shared libs, but not
all.  -fpic code would then be faster by one load per GOT look-up.

Someday I'll try to come up with a patch to do that on the EABI ports of
the compiler.

R.