On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 06:03:08PM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Gabriel Dos Reis writes:
>  > On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Andrew Haley wrote:
>  >
>  > |
>  > | From a performance/convenience angle, the best place to handle this is
>  > | either libc or the kernel.
>  >
>  > Hmm, that is predicated on assumptions not convenient to users
>  > on targets that are not glibc-based or GNU/Linux-based.
>
> Well, if GNU libc/Linux/whatever can fix this bug in libc or the
> kernel, so can anyone else.

If GCC winds up having to fix the bug in the compiler itself for PPC,
then everyone could have the option of using a kernel fix or a compiler
fix.  But how are you going to do the kernel fix?  What if the user did
an integer divide and not a modulo?  I suppose you could just say the
result is undefined and patch up the quotient too.