icrashedtheinternet wrote:
I guess I could have worded my email a bit better.  Of course I don't
assume that the GCC developers are ignoring standards.  Nor do I think
any of us are unaware of GCC's ability to support a standard and have
extensions to it that go beyond the standard.  So I simply want to
suggest to the proper people (who hopefully are reading this ;)  that
perhaps the mission statement should include something about the GCC
project efforts to encompass programming language standards and then
go beyond them whenever necessary in order to make the compiler even
more useful.

Why?

(Or, to be less gnomic: Why do you feel that this should be included in the mission statement? You're proposing the idea, but you're not giving any reasons for it at all. If it were obvious why it should be in there, it would already be there, presumably.)

- Brooks