Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:16:43PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> Mark Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>> But, aren't big C++ shared libraries rather different?  Does KDE
>>> actually use throw() everywhere, or visibility attributes?  But,
>>> presumably, most people don't replace the implementation of
>>> ScrollBar::ScrollUp or whatever.  I'd be happy to know I'm wrong here,
>>> but I'd be surprised if there aren't large amounts of legacy code that
>>> would be hurt by this change.  Do you disagree?
>> I don't really have any doubt that somebody, somewhere, wants to
>> override a function in a C++ shared library, and wants the overriding
>> function to throw an exception.  There is really only one correct
>> compiler behaviour here.
>
> I strongly agree that there is only one correct behaviour here.

If you both feel that way, it's good enough for me.  As a long-time C++
programmer, I'd sure be surprised to find that my code was optimized
substantially differently -- in this kind of high-level way, not just at
the lower levels of addressing modes and such -- just because I added
"-fpic" to the command-line, but so be it.

In that case, I'll not make any further changes in this area.  I can't
really guarantee that any change I would make to 4.1.2 would restore
exactly identical behavior to the 4.1.1 release without backing out
other larges bits of infrastructure.  And, since we think this is the
behavior we want going forward, I think we may as well just go with it.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery