Andrew MacLeod wrote:

> There are a handful I've been involved with which are labeled as
> 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3 regressions which I don't see ever being fixed in 4.0
> through 4.2. There is perhaps some hope for 4.3, but 4.4 is the more
> likely case. They require new development work that I think is unlikely
> to ever be backported to these releases for just these testcases.

Thank you very much for this email.  I apologize for not acknowledging
this earlier.

> The PRs are
> - 21596  I made a simple attempt at this one, but the simple approach
> isn't going to work.
> - 23200  fixed in 4.3 by the new version of TER. Unlikely to port the
> entire TER rewrite back to 4.2 at this stage (it could be done tho :-).

This was still marked as a bug in 4.3 in the "Summary" section of the
bug.  Given that this fixed, I've removed the 4.3 marker there.  In
future, when you fix a bug, please remove the release from the Summary
section, if you remember.  (I forget too...)

> - 27986  This is in fact a variation of the issue in 21596, except this
> one crosses basic blocks. It will require all new work to get this case.
> - 27877  Mark Shinwell applied a patch for this to 4.3. I pinged him
> about applying it to 4.2. If I haven't heard from him by thursday, I
> will apply it friday.

I think you meant 29877?  In any case, thank you!

> I would say you can mark the first 3 as 'will not fix', or whatever you
> do to indicate they aren't going to be resolved in 4.2.

I'm going to leave them open, but I've added a link to your message to
the audit trails.  Optimistically, someone might miraculously fix them,
but it's very helpful to know that that's going to be unlikley.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery