On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 08:59 +0000, Mick CORNUT wrote:
> Hi Andrew,

> Ps: I've just tried with gcc 4.1.1, but the problem doesn't occur
> since gcc removes the temporary buffer allocation on the stack,
> furthermore, we want to keep gcc 3.4.x!

Changing the testcase to

void trace(int p1, int p2, int p3, int p4, char * message)
{   char temp[512];
    pr(temp, message);
}

is sufficient to demonstrate that the bug has been fixed in all gcc-4.x
versions.

So the problem was fixed some time between 3.4 and 4.0.  Sorry, I don't
know precisely which patch, but you are welcome to trawl back through
the gcc-patches email archives for that time frame if you wish; but
don't expect any patches you find to apply directly to the old
code... :-)

R.