On May 3, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Uros Bizjak wrote:

Bradley Lucier wrote:

What about "significant loss of accuracy" as these options probably won't cause a nuclear reactor meltdown ;)

Well, I did some googling, and the technical term I was thinking of was "catastrophic cancellation". So how about

Note that some mathematical routines in such libraries could suffer significant loss of accuracy, typically through so-called "catastrophic cancellation", when this option is used to set the precision to less than extended precision.

I think this is OK. So if nobody objects, this patch is OK for mainline.

I'm sorry, but I don't have checkin privileges.

Brad