Jason Merrill wrote:
> Mark Mitchell wrote:
>> No, I don't think we know.  There's speculation in the PR trail, but
>> that's it.  I'd appreciate it if you were able to investigate further,
>> but I think I'd best just accept that this will not be fixed for 4.2.0.
>
> Or revert the patch that revealed the bug, or apply Richard Guenther's
> other patch to work around it?

Sorry, your message *just* crossed:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-05/msg00329.html

in which I declared failure. :-)

However, the release isn't really released until it's on the FTP sites,
of course, so there's still time to talk me into a different course of
action.

I'm concerned about either of the other approaches, in that we don't
fully understand why they work, so we can't really be confident we're
not just pushing the bug around.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell