On Fri, 2007-06-01 04:47:11 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-31 21:34:33 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > I've set up a Git mirror of the entire GCC history on
> > > server space kindly provided by David Woodhouse.
> > >
> > > You can clone it with:
> > >
> > > git-clone git://git.infradead.org/gcc.git
> >
> > How often will it be synced with upstream SVN?
>
> I've setup a cron job every hour, but I can increase the
> frequency if needed.  git-svn is not a cpu/bandwidth hog.

Can single (or a really small number of SVN commits) be pulled
efficiently? A year ago, I had something similar in place and called
the update script from procmail (so that it would pull the last commit
right after receiving the commit email.)

But hourly mirroring sounds like being more than enough, though.

> > While you're at it,
> > would David mind to also place a binutils, glibc and glibc-ports GIT
> > repo next to it?  That way, there would be a nice single point of GIT
> > repos for the whole toolchain.
>
> For this, I'd prefer waiting for David's answer.  David,
> my guess is that all of these combined should be smaller
> than GCC alone.  There should be fewer users, too.

I guess that'll be in the 150..200 MB range.

> > Thanks for the work, I'll just clone it right now :)
>
> Be our guest, and let me know if you find a way to
> repack the repo to a smaller size.

You already did a full repack as I get from the other emails. I don't
think it'll pack any smaller.  You'd increase the window sizes, but
that simply won't pack it to 400MB :)  It's surely not worth burning
lots of CPU cycles for one megabyte, or two...

> Not that I care that much... 800MB is small enough for
> today's bandwidth.

Maybe we'd find one or two of these "root servers" offered by some
ISPs with unlimited traffic and start to spread the load, or ask the
kernel.org guys if they'd also host a copy of the repo.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      [EMAIL PROTECTED]              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:         Alles wird gut! ...und heute wirds schon ein bißchen