Eric Botcazou wrote:

No, GCC hit a fundamental wall because its backend was not modern.
The code we generate out of tree-ssa is in general, as good or better
than other compilers generate out of their middle ends.

The problem remaining is that they have much better backends then us.

Until dataflow, *nobody* had done any sort of major undertaking to
make the *entire* backend actually modern in any way, shape or form.

I presume that "backend" means the RTL part of the compiler, right? So we should focus our efforts on the low-level part of the compiler, rather than on the high-level part? E.g the register allocator?

I think a good register allocator and putting more on pseudo-registers (better escape analysis) could help x86/x86_64.

As for C++, I think we need more OO language specific optimizations. I don't know what the status of devirtualizion which was reported on the previous summit.