Giovanni Bajo wrote:
Both our goals are legitimate. But that's not the point. The point is what -ffast-math semantically means (the simplistic list of suboptions activated by it is of couse unsufficiente because it doesn't explain how to behave in face of new options, like -mrecip). My proposal is:

"-ffast-math activates all the mathematical-related optimizations that improves code speed while destroying floating point accuracy."

I don't think that's a workable proposal. If it is taken literally, it means that the optimization of converting all floating-point arithmetic to no-ops and replacing all references to floating-point variables with zeros is allowed (and would be appropriate under this option).

And, personally, I don't think that documentation is of use if it can't be taken reasonably literally. There's a line between what's acceptable and what's not, and regardless of where exactly it is, the documentation needs to fairly clearly indicate its location.

- Brooks