Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Note that on the steering committee we represent technical areas
> NOT the companies we work for at any given time.

I'd like to emphasize that this is not only true in theory but in practice.

It is true that, perhaps, when someone from company X is proposed for a
maintainer position there's some bias of SC members from company X to
support that person.  But, I don't think I've ever felt that was out of
putting corporate interests first.  Rather, it was that people from
company X knew the candidate better, felt perceived weaknesses were not
as great as others did, etc.  I have always felt that the SC has been
admirably free of corporate conflict.

I can certainly say that there was no discussion whatsoever of making
sure that Google had "its share" of maintainer representation.  In fact,
the Google-ness of Ian and Diego was not even mentioned.  And, if Ian
and Diego were at some point to leave Google, they would still be
maintainers, but Google won't have any.  I don't think the SC is going
to worry about that.

One advantage of having some SC members who are not GCC developers (and
thus seem less involved) is that they are more independent.  They have
no commercial stake in which companies have maintainers, what
development projects are done by whom, etc.  Presumably, to the extent
they have a vested interest in the outcome it's in making GCC useful for
their own development, which is probably as good a bias as any.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery