michael.a wrote:

> I should probably just find that Debian patch and install into the system
> directories, but I still don't understand if there are any factors outside
> of gcc necessary for a successful build (could glibc be related to the
> crt.o files -- and are the crt.o files tied to the system, or do they just
> link to shared libraries)

I think I have maybe the proper debian patches for gcc from here:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gcc-defaults/gcc-defaults_1.32.tar.gz

But even if so, I have no idea what to do with it. Lots of files that look
like preinst postinst prerm postrm... of course the README file provided is
absolutely zero help, nor is it particularly possible to not get a swamp of
junk responses from google. Debian doesn't appear to me to actually provide
GCC sources from the repository, but does provide Debian patches.

I've never understood why linux has to be so damn opaque about
documentation... makes for a lot of unnecessary help requests.

Any advice please? I'd basicly like to be able to rebuild a proper Debian
compliant GCC, preferably without knocking on more than a handful of mailing
lists in the process.

If I'm nagging at this point please let me know... I'd just like be able to
add to the Linux community. If only it wasn't always so trying to figure out
what the hell is going on.

sincerely,

michael