On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> (I'm not personally convinced that a multi-targeted gcc is particularly
> useful, though I don't object if there is a general desire to support
> it.)

I think the cleanups involved in using the target vector / class more, and
other cleanups involved in the natural approach to multi-target GCC of
which the target vector is a part, are more useful than the end result
(for which compiling large parts of the compiler multiple times is an
interesting approach - I'd always thought of the aim as being a
multi-target compiler without target-independent files being built more
than once).  Other clearly worthwhile cleanups in what I thought of as the
natural approach include completing the toplevel libgcc transition (so the
copies of libgcc built for each target's multilibs get their configuration
from configuring the libgcc directory for that target and multilib rather
than from the gcc directory if that's configured once, and without
including tm.h in target files any more).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com