On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:48:15AM -0400, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> I'm currently working on an update of the patch for PR42843, and I wonder
> what best to do about the symbol plugin_is_GPL_compatible.
>
> extern int plugin_is_GPL_compatible;

> However, it would mean that plugin_is_GPL_compatible would have to be declared
> as type int - we currently say in the documentation that the type doesn't
> matter.  So we'd have to change the documentation to reflect this, then.
> Also, the type we suggest in the documentation is int, but some people
> might have choosen a different type to be on the safe side not to use GFDL
> code (pasted from the manual) together with GPL code, or to safe space -
> should we worry about the backwards compatibility issue there?

I strongly believe your proposal is good, and we should *not* worry
about backwards compatibility:

* plugins are supposed to be free software, preferably GPLv3, so
  people can patch & recompile them, especially since your requirement
  is easy!

* plugins are not supposed to even be source compatible from one
  version (e.g. 4.5) of GCC to the next (e.g. 4.6).

* some plugins might be source (but not binary) compatible from a
  minor version (e.g. 4.5.0) to the next (e.g. 4.5.1).

* very few plugins exist in practice today, and some of them already
  declared plugin_is_GPL_compatible as an int. We could even change
  the name to GCC_plugin_is_GPL_compatible if you want. Whatever we
  do, we should document that.

I hope your patch will be approved.

Cheers.