On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Uday P. Khedker <u...@cse.iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> Diego Novillo wrote, On Friday 12 October 2012 01:41 AM:

>>> SSA provides partial flow sensitivity to the top level pointers. For
>>> deeper
>>> pointers, one needs to interleave SSA and points-to analysis. Besides, it
>>> cannot
>>> handle global pointers which are important at the interprocedural level.
>>

>> Yes, for global pointers, but in GIMPLE we do not have 'deeper'
>> pointers.  Unless I'm misunderstanding you.  By 'deep pointers' you
>> mean 'foo->ptr1->ptr2'?  There are no memory expressions of that kind
>> in GIMPLE.
>

> I meant pointers that are pointed to by other pointers. However I see that
> GCC manages to solve common cases as a consequence of other optimizations so
> I will need some time to create an example that shows problems with deeper
> pointers but my main reason for not using SSA is that it seems fine for
> local analysis of scalars. When we introduce globals (the example that I
> gave in
> my previous mail http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-10/msg00164.html) OR
> have function calls to which we pass pointers, SSA is helpless.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> main()
> {
>         int **p;
>         int *a, *d;
>         int w, x;
>
>         a = &w;
>         f1(a);
>         p = &a;
>         a = &x;
>         f2(p);
>         d = a;
>
>         return *d;
> }
>
> It is clear that d can only point to x and can never point to w.

I think you are wrong there.

int *a1;
void f1(int *a)
{
  a1 = a;
}

void f2(int **p)
{
  *p = a1;
}

That will change a to &w after f2 is called.  So it looks like your
aliasing analysis does not take into account escaping like it should.
This is the whole point of marking a as escaped.  Maybe I missed
something here though but d can point w with my functions for f1 and
f2.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski