On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 05:17:52PM +0200, John Tytgat wrote:
> On 09/19/2015 04:29 PM, Gavin Wraith wrote:
> >[...]
> >The Acorn C manual had a useful chapter "Implementation Details"
> >that assured me that ints and longs were 32-bit and so on.
> >Where do I find something similar for the RISC OS implementation
> >of 4.7.4? There is a dizzying range of possibilities for
> >what numbers are in Lua. New to Lua 5.3 is a distinction
> >(in the C code) between the types LUA_NUMBER and LUA_INTEGER
> >so I need to check out what GCC is producing.
>
> Probably the most interesting info is that int/long/wchar_t/wint_t
> are signed 32 bit, char is unsigned, long long/long double 8 bytes
> wide, short 2 bytes wide.  AFAIK all in sync with Norcroft C
> implementation details.

If you have control over what types Lua is using (because there's a header
file with typedefs somewhere), and you're using C99 or later, I recommend
using stdint.h.  This defines a series of types like uint32_t which do
exactly what they say on the tin, so there's no worries that another
compiler or another platform will do something different.

Theo