Hi Gavin,

> > ^ shouldn't that be static int? Wouldn't the const imply that the
> > buffer never changes

This is the problem.

> The buffer doesn't change. It's its contents that change. I will try
> removing the const.

The buffer is its contents.  As an array rather than a pointer the
address of its first element will never change with or without the
const.  The const is saying the elements' values are constant.  Constant
at zero since it's a static and not initialised to anything else.

> Why are the filetypes coming out as zero, rather than some other
> value?

Because the compiler can assume the contents of a static const array
that's not initialised to anything are zero and doesn't need to load
from memory;  check the assembler.

Cheers, Ralph.