On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 10:44:54AM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeremy wrote:
> >   The pull-request for doing so is already submitted, see link below.
>
> The email is https://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2017-05/0004.html and the
> PR is https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/1463 with
> https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/1463/commits/85b3072d422d0c25cb8c5d724206bebcc222f149#diff-10de2e0e2a5a0a4f65bb973cfd304c5aL34
> being the interesting bit listing the environment variables.

We build command-line curl in the GCCSDK autobuilder - we consume sources
from Debian, to save having to have interactions with hundreds of upstream
projects which Debian already do.

That said, --environment seems to set system variables:

-  {"curl_url_effective", CURLINFO_EFFECTIVE_URL, writeenv_STRING},
-  {"curl_http_code", CURLINFO_RESPONSE_CODE, writeenv_LONG},
-  {"curl_time_total", CURLINFO_TOTAL_TIME, writeenv_DOUBLE},
-  {"curl_time_namelookup", CURLINFO_NAMELOOKUP_TIME, writeenv_DOUBLE},
-  {"curl_time_connect", CURLINFO_CONNECT_TIME, writeenv_DOUBLE},
-  {"curl_time_pretransfer", CURLINFO_PRETRANSFER_TIME, writeenv_DOUBLE},
-  {"curl_time_starttransfer", CURLINFO_STARTTRANSFER_TIME,
-  writeenv_DOUBLE},
-  {"curl_size_header", CURLINFO_HEADER_SIZE, writeenv_LONG},
-  {"curl_size_request", CURLINFO_REQUEST_SIZE, writeenv_LONG},
-  {"curl_size_download", CURLINFO_SIZE_DOWNLOAD, writeenv_DOUBLE},
-  {"curl_size_upload", CURLINFO_SIZE_UPLOAD, writeenv_DOUBLE},
-  {"curl_speed_download", CURLINFO_SPEED_DOWNLOAD, writeenv_DOUBLE},
-  {"curl_speed_upload", CURLINFO_SPEED_UPLOAD, writeenv_DOUBLE},

Does anybody use these?  I'm imagining they're probably intended for a
progress GUI driving the curl binary (rather than using libcurl, which has
scheduling complications).

The only frontend I could find is this one:
http://www.strcprstskrzkrk.co.uk/curl
which looks like it's using the Frontend module - ie there's no GUI beyond
setting the options to run the command.

I suspect losing it won't actually affect RISC OS beyond whatever GUI it was
intended for, but curious to know what that was.

Theo