This very much depends on the nature of the task.

I might be disappointed if stackoverflow were used on a task asking you to
learn and explore, particularly if the task has questions to see if you really
did explore and learn.  You’re only cheating yourself and it would likely hurt
you on subsequent tasks.  I’d probably commend a student for using
stackoverflow to get past some compilation error or asking understanding
questions that help you become a better programmer.

You’re typically not expected to struggle in isolation on GCI tasks.  Ask your
GCI mentors if you need help or have a question.

Cheers!
Sean
BRL-CAD