Hi,

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:58:34 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troe...@uvena.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:21:03 +1100, Lex wrote:
>
> since we have quite different ideas of the future of the whole build
> systems features and in particular about its configuration using GUI
> dialogs, I got a weird idea:
>
> Why not moving the build system code into a plugin?

I think we should just move some parts of it. But more below.

> This isn't completely new, I think to remember we discussed this
> before Lex' first rewrite of the build system and decided to not do
> this to keep it in the core and so always available.
>
> Though having the build system as a plugin has some advantages, IMO.
>
> First, Lex could realise it as he wants, as complex and flexible as
> necessary giving users all the powers they want to and don't limit
> them with any hardcoded defaults (I completely understand this wish).
>
> And alternatively, we could implement a very basic, limited and easy
> to use(KISS) build system alternatively, similar to the old one(as in
> 0.18 and before) alternatively to the advanced one.
>
> Then users can choose which build system plugin they want to use and
> so have even more flexibility.

I think a good way could be to have the current status (or maybe the
version from 0.18) build in, but make plugin API be able to
replace/extend it with an additional plugin specified by the user. I
disagree to have two plugins as the confusion for the user will be much
bigger. I understand plugins always as optional additions and a build
system is an elementary part of an IDE.

> This would probably make things a bit harder and would require some
> additions to the plugin API, especially to get project support
> properly involved but I think it might be worth in the long term.

I agree. This is nothing we can do within an evening-coding-session But
as a midterm it would make sense. When keeping a usable default inside
core and put some additions to a plugin. Well, yepp. Would like that
thing.

Cheers,
Frank
--