On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 00:52, Lex Trotman <ele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 June 2010 02:15, Nick Treleaven <nick.trelea...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:59:35 +0200
>> Jiří Techet <tec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To be honest, I find the new build dialog in 0.19 (and how it
>>> interacts with the session-project) pretty confusing - when you use it
>>> for the first time, you have no idea what it does (I had to look at
>>> the sources to be sure).
>>
>> I assume you mean the 'Set Build Commands' dialog when you have a
>> project open. I think that may be a bug - IMO the Project Properties
>> Build tab should be shown instead. It is confusing ATM.
>
> No it shouldn't open the project tab, the project menu does that.  If
> you have a project open there are *two* places where the commands are
> edited, one for those defined in the project and one for those not
> defined in the project which still get used if no project command
> overrides them.
>
> When you create a project you don't have to copy all the commands into
> the project, you still get the normal ones until you define one in the
> project which overrides the normal one.
>
> Yes I realised a while ago it can be confusing, thats part of why I
> want to combine both dialogs into one in v2.0.

Yes, it's pretty confusing. Once you create a project you don't expect
that what you see in the build tab changes based on what change you
make in the global settings (until you modify the commands in the
project for the first time). This makes the project totally unportable
because it depends on the global settings of the current instance of
geany. So if I move the project from my home computer to work, things
just can stop working because I have different global settings there.

What I would suggest is that upon project creation you make a complete
copy of the global settings and since then the two are edited
independently. Otherwise all the settings is a total mess.

Cheers,

Jiri