On 03/09/11 11:26, Frank Lanitz wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 20:21:27 +0100
Enrico Tröger<enrico.troe...@uvena.de>  wrote:

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 20:15:31 +0100, Frank wrote:

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 20:07:26 +0100
Thomas Martitz<thomas.mart...@student.htw-berlin.de>  wrote:

On 09.03.2011 20:05, Enrico Tröger wrote:
I use SVN, so I don't care much about a .gitignore (read: I'm
neutral).

I just would suggest, if we use a .gitignore as well (assuming
replying svn:ignore won't work as expected with GIT), keep
the .gitignore somewhat in sync with the svn:ignore content.

That's best accomplished by setting svn:ignore and
generating .gitignore from it.

IIRC, if you clone a svn repo with git-svn then it even
automatically does this (and puts the ignores
into .git/info/exclude).
But based on feedback earlier inside this thread, the svn:ignore list
seems not to be complete.
This seems like a good time to make it more complete...:D.
Dammit. I knew there was something ....

You can use the file/patch I sent on the original message to get a current list of what needs to be excluded/ignored, to update the svn:ignore property. The main problem I see with using the svn:ignore property is that I don't think it's settable for all the people using git-svn (might be able to now, but not from what I read online), so it's unlikely those plugins that generate files that should be ignored are going to have the svn:ignore property updated. The other thing is that anyone using the Git mirror isn't going to get those excludes/ignores, however, having used git-svn for a little bit now, I don't even understand why anyone would use the Git mirror over git-svn for development.

The one thing I do like about .gitignore files is that you can have one global one for the whole project, and then one in each plugin dir that needs one, and then the plugin author just needs to tack on his generated files as required.

I must say, being a newbie to community development and version control, I kinda freaked out bit when I almost commited 50 new files polluting the whole tree with noise on my first commit. Now that I've got my end setup properly, it's not as much of an issue, but hopefully at least it will result in the svn:ignore property being updated and maybe help with DRY for each developer (ie. maintaing their own ignores).

Cheers,
Matthew Brush (codebrainz)