On 22/01/2012 22:00, Lex Trotman wrote:
When working with a common well known library like GTK it is better to
use the well known interface directly rather than creating private
partial wrappers.

Contributors who know GTK don't have to learn the private interface
(or complain about what is missing, or just use GTK directly anyway
since they don't know about the private interface) and contributors
who don't know GTK can learn an interface that is useful to them
elsewhere, rather than one that just works in Geany.

You make a valid point, but most contributions are from the core team that know our utility functions. In this case we're discussing a fairly trivial function, but if it gets used 10 or 50 times in the code base then that's a significant benefit in avoiding temporary variables or nested expressions, which are harder to read. As I said, if the function is obvious, there's no harm.

In other cases we have functions that save 10 lines of code per call. This is a massive help that outweighs having to work out what the function does.

Another point is that exposing Matt's ui_get_builder before we actually have code that needs it seems premature. We already know we need to lookup objects though, and that a short syntax is needed.

Nick