On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:53:27 +1000
Lex Trotman <ele...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Personally I think we shouldn't rematch a replaced start of line. I
> > think this is counter intuitive. Is there a reason why the current
> > behaviour is better?
> >
> > Anyway, the reason it works as it does was because that was easier to
> > implement.
>
> Yes I understood that, as I said the alternative is to implement the
> "find all and replacel" by proper substitute function which finds the
> occurrences first then substitutes them.  I guess if you can do the
> internal equivalent of the find all and mark command then just
> substitute all marked.

It might be possible to record the last start of line and prevent a
rematch that way, avoiding caching.

BTW, you're right that there's more important things to do, but no harm
in discussing improvements IMO.

> Actually it'd be nice to have an option for the
> replacements to be highlighted so I could see the places it made
> changes I didn't mean (does that often happen to you with change all??
> :-)

Could be useful, although maybe better if the replacements were listed
in the Messages window so you don't have to scroll through the whole
document.

Regards,
Nick