On Apr 11, 2013, at 7:22 PM, Robert Schroll wrote:

> Geary just dropped its support for Ubuntu 12.04.  This is understandable, but 
> still somewhat annoying for people like me who are still running 12.04.  I'm 
> wondering if it would be possible for me to satisfy the dependencies, at 
> least until I get around to upgrading.  First, do you know what dependencies 
> are now unsatisfied?  I know libwebkitgtk 1.10 is one; I'm guessing libsecret 
> is another.  (I was hoping configure would tell me what I was missing, but it 
> ran without any problems.)  Second, any hints on how to set them up along 
> side the existing OS?  I found a PPA with webkit 1.10, but this lead to 
> conflicts with all sorts of important packages.  Is there something 
> equivalent to Python's virtualenv that I could use?
> 
> In the worst case, I'll create a VM for Geary development, but that seems a 
> bit inelegant.

Robert,

Yes, it's sad but Precise won't be supported in 0.4.  However, Geary 0.4 should 
be able to build on more distros since we've eliminated Gnome Keyring as a 
dependency.

Some of us Yorbans are still running Precise at home and are in the same boat.  
I haven't tried to get it working yet, but here's what I can tell you so far:
* We aren't yet using any features specific to WebKitGTK3 1.10, but that could 
change.
* Support for "libindicate" (the mail menu in Precise) is now gone. 
* I wasn't able to find libsecret in any reliable-looking PPAs, but I it might 
be possible to build it.

As for the future, we may bump the min version of Vala to 0.20.1 for 
performance reasons.  Also I've got a branch that switches us to libgee 0.8 but 
it hasn't landed yet.  I think you can grab both of those dependencies from 
ppa:vala-team/ppa

I hope that gets you started.

 - Eric

_______________________________________________
Geary mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.yorba.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/geary

Reply via email to